BMW Werkz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all start with a :madCheck Engine Light:mad i read the code it says: Evap Leak.
i get on the internet and i star looking around for answers, some guys told me to look for pinch or coroated hoases in the expasion tank.
i found some stuff on a website about sensor fault recals on this site: BMW sensor faults and problems
It says that the Fuel Tank Vent Valve or the charcoal canister Purge Valve can be stuck for some reasone whats the probability that this has happen to one of them, if some one has had the same problem and has found that the solution was to replace or clean. If some one knows the electrical way to test these Valves can you HELP ME:help:help:help PLZ

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
It all start with a :madCheck Engine Light:mad i read the code it says: Evap Leak.
i get on the internet and i star looking around for answers, some guys told me to look for pinch or coroated hoases in the expasion tank.
i found some stuff on a website about sensor fault recals on this site: BMW sensor faults and problems
It says that the Fuel Tank Vent Valve or the charcoal canister Purge Valve can be stuck for some reasone whats the probability that this has happen to one of them, if some one has had the same problem and has found that the solution was to replace or clean. If some one knows the electrical way to test these Valves can you HELP ME:help:help:help PLZ
Hey.....I feel your pain.....this was my first & only CEL, 1st thing, was the CEL code a small Evap. leak or large Evap. leak?.... because if it is a small leak then this points to a faulty gas cap! So check that first! Did you gas up recently, just leaving the gas cap loose will trip a CEL..... I found out that the Evap. Emissions Expansion tank is prone for the nipple hose connection to crack off, it is located under the rear passenger wheel well. Just remove wheel & inner plastic panel!

If it is cracked, you can try repairing it, I ended up buying a new one......pretty expensive, part # 16131182156

Repair:
evap leak cheap fixed. Broken expansion tank - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Wholesale BMW parts:
BMW of Bloomfield

Emissions Expansion tank:

RealOEM.com BMW E36 323i EXPANSION TANK/TUBING

good luck,
jb :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you johnny yes i have check the expansion tank but ill check it again at that verry place, i also did a smoke test in the system but i didnt find anything.
the funny thing is that when i go to get gas and i take off the gas cap it seems to hold the presure because you hear the air being sucked in, since i live in Texas i have to do the emisions test every year and they check the gas cap for a leak down test thats how i know that the gas cap is in good condition.
I have read that the charcoal canister has a valve that can get stuck open causing it so say that verry same code also or also that verry fuel tank presure sensor can be faulty I HATE EVAP SYSTEM!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey good news!! i think i migh of found the problem: I checked the charcoal canister i took out the purge valve from the canister and i looked at it and pluged on two wires and tried it with some batteries and it didn't do anything, so i decided to hell with it and tried it with the car batterie and nothing happen, so i tried to mess with a screw driver and i coudnt close it it was completly stuck open after i got it lose i tried it with the car batterie the magic happen the valve close and the it open so im really happy im hopping this works wish me luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts