BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm out of work and recently bought the car with 160k on it for just under 3k. It runs like a top and body and interior are in great shape. That is the end of paradise. I was told by bmw that the guibo is shot and that I need a new head gasket. That coolant and oil are leaking. I have been checking under the car daily and have only seen a drop or two of oil under there. No coolant. Feel stuck and like an idiot not sure what to do. Don't have 3k to dump into it. Are there any head gasket sealers? Even if I sell it, I still need cheap car. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, again.

Doug

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
there is hope my friend. head gaskets aren't very expensive, get yourself a Bentley Manual and visit Bavauto.com for a head gasket and bolt set. do it your self, you'll save a shitload of money and be back in paradise in no time.

Might even check to see, i think the 5er subforum has a bentley pdf you can download, save yourself $75 right there.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
German Speed Demon,

Thanks for the response. I know the part doesn't cost much, but I was under the impression you have to rip half the engine apart to deal with the head gasket. If that is the case, I don't think I have the know how to pull that off.

Thanks, again.

Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GSD,

I just checked out bavauto.com and man if could just figure out a way to get these repairs done I might not be dead in the water at all. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSD,

If I buy the head gasket from Bavauto, how much do you think it should cost for labor and how many hours?

Thanks for the help. I need it. It sucks flying blind.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I had mine done years ago. I'll be doing mine next time. I had to buy a used head, I did the water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc. It ran me about 2200 for everything. Knowing what I know now, and the help from this forum, I'll be doing mine the next time (if it ever happens again). Get Torque's manual that is sticky'd at the top of this forum. If you have the place and basic tools you can do this.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
And depending on where you are, if you don't have the tools you can rent them at NAPA stores and the such.

And headgaskets just LOOK daunting. all the pieces that come off are big, that's all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts