BMW Werkz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys i need help real quick ! i just bought a 93' e36 318 is with a 95' 325i motor in it . it runs great , no knocking or anything, just cant seem to get the idle to stop changing so bad. goes from low to high ,to low to high, over and over again. mass air flow sensor ? vaccuum leak ? i dont know where to start !!! can u help with some suggestions ? thanks lilpaul325
:rule

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i havent yet . but i will shark. i know its gotta be something simple, cause i had the same problem with my e30 and it was the mass air flow sensor. ill take a look at it this weekend and let ya know what i find out. thanks lilpaul325:rule

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
Like shark said, check the intake boot for cracks (e36s are notorious for this as they age) and if you haven't already clean (or replace ... but I'd clean it first) your ICV. 95 percent of the time, the fault lies with one or both of those. A bad MAF could cause a hunting idle too I guess, but normally you'd start to see other drivability issues as well.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
idle hunt... almost always is caused by a dirty or malfunctioning Idle Control Motor.

In most cases, all you'll ever need to clean it really well with a can of carb cleaner, and you should be ok. And... u can use the same can of carb cleaner to spray around the intake area while engine is running. any drastic change in idle speed while spraying with pinpoint your leak(if any)..

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.