BMW Werkz banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, brand new here. My 94 530i was running fine this morning, then this afternoon I go to start, and it takes forever for it to start. After pumping the gas several times, it starts then runs for a couple of minutes then shuts off. I started it again....runs for a couple of minutes, then shuts off. I started it for a third time, start to drive it...starts bucking, and shuts off. Now it wont start at all....Could this be the positioning sensor, or the fuel pump? I need a starting place as I need to fix this problem...asap! Any help would be greatly appreciated....

· Help from over the pond
3,230 Posts
Passenger side, not too sure maybe in engine compartment or open glove box and look up.

Also check fuseable link under the rear seat............maybe a good idea to direct feed( off the batt) the pump this will let you know if the pump is good.

3,230 Posts
Pull the rear seat out and you will see it its basically a fuse in the wiring.

3,230 Posts
Hmmmm..... Very strange as there should be a fuse in there, as for ampage, sorry I dont know, does it not say on the holder, if not go for a 10amp to start if that blows go up....

3,230 Posts
Well as said there should be a fuse there already,maybe someone has messed about with this before and bypassed the it some how, put one in and see what occurs, it can only blow.

· Registered
41 Posts
The fuel pump relay is inside the DME box and there should be a sticker in the box identifying them. Check first the fuel pump relay (is the white one in the box). Per the Bentley manual: "To run the fuel pump, remove the relay and connect the socket for terminal 30 the the socket for terminal 87 with a fused wire" and if this doesn't work check the main relay (it is the white one).
DME powers the main relay which in turns powers the fuel pump relay as long as the engine is cranking or running. Oh, and fuse 23 in the box is for the fuel pump, you checked that one too, right? ;-)

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE: I had my car towed to a local BMW mechanic, and it turned out to be my sending unit. Apparently the fuel pump was going bad, and drawing 15 amps instead of the normal 6 and ended up frying the wiring inside the sending unit, and for some reason it didnt blow the fuse to the pump, which explains whay I had zero power to the pump. He replaced the fuel pump, and sending unit, and she's running lean and mean once again. Thanks everyone for all of your help...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.