BMW Werkz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE HELP MEE !!!
I have a 1992 318is

The car will start and idle with no problem, purrs like a kitten all day, sounds great, no knocking or erratic idle. As soon as you hit the gas to rev it up around 3-4000 rpms, it bogs down, spits, sputters and sounds like it gonna stall. Let off the gas and it will go back to idle and run perfect again.
also i can drive the car when its cold FINE, no problems, only once its warmed up does it start

Ive changed plugs, coils, checked the cat, installed 2 different DME computers, valve cover gasket, coolant temp sensor, idle control valve,
fuel filer, vaccum lines... EVERYTHING !!

Anybody have any suggestions or ever heard of this ?
Its weird to me that its fine and runs great when cold, and even at idle and between 0-2500 rpms, only above that when its warm does it do this !

anything would be appreciated thanks !

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
fuel starvation... i.e. failing fuel pump.

air starvation - try and run it a few miles without air filter and let's see. Dirty or faulty AFM will also cause the symptoms you complain about.

Check also for leaks and cracks in the intake boot.

*Perhaps you have the wrong spec for spark plugs??? :)

**In older cars such as your series... internal corrosion in the AFM terminals and the circuit board is the usual cause of failure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
fuel starvation... i.e. failing fuel pump.

air starvation - try and run it a few miles without air filter and let's see. Dirty or faulty AFM will also cause the symptoms you complain about.

Check also for leaks and cracks in the intake boot.

*Perhaps you have the wrong spec for spark plugs??? :)

**In older cars such as your series... internal corrosion in the AFM terminals and the circuit board is the usual cause of failure.
+1

I'd guess fuel pump especially, I have a '92 325 and the pumps been acting up for a while now. Not quite that bad, but its causing some other issues. Plugs would be the other thing I'd think right away... though usually if it's coils or plugs it's a constant misfire. If the plugs are only a little bad it could idle fine and act up under partial throttle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey man,

i have the 92 318is that had the same problem. i got an pm from ya but i forgot my password and couldn't get it back so i started a new acct.

my problem ended up being the rubber part in the harmonic balancer was ripped up, it would idle fine all day long but as soon as you hit the gas it would sputter and bog down and start slipping. one day it actually revved fine (must have stopped in the exact correct position) when i started it, so i took it and did a couple donuts and beat on it a little and it finally totally broke loose... sounds weird but thats what it was... 100 bucks from a junkyard and i was good to go.

hope this helps man

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.