BMW Werkz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still trying to troubleshoot some electrical problems in my car.

The chart on the cover of the rear fuse box doesn't quite seem to jive with the layout of the fuses. The fuse blocks are not numbered and so it makes it hard to correspond it to the chart.

I can pull fuses and see what works or what doesn't work but I am trying to find a picture or drawing that tells me the fuse numbers.
The Bentley manual does not have a picture or diagram that gives me the number for those fuses.

Thanks,
Don

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, that chart is definitely money. Awesome find and I hope you figure out your electrical gremlins.
Thanks! I think I have some of the problems solved.

That was definitely a nice find. I think I was googling defogger relay and that one came up in the results - I was posted on another bimmer forum - I'm glad the link still worked.

Here's what I discovered in my fuse box located under the hood. The previous owner had replaced some of the 30A fuses and he used the smaller style two prong fuses (I think they are referred to as Japanese style fuses). I replaced them with the proper fuses and I now have a few things working that weren't before. I noticed the aux cooling fan kick in for the first time and when I lock the trunk, the door lock actuators work and lock all 4 doors.

So not only was there a bad connection with the smaller fuses, but it might have been shorting something out as well. I thought I had an alternator problem. It was checked out while in the car and I was told it was only putting out 30A - pretty bad for a 140A alternator. I pulled it out, had it tested again and it checked out OK - I had another shop check it to be sure.

I have only had the car for not even two months. Still learning a lot about it.

I don't know if I have solved all my problems yet. I'm just glad I'm finally getting some free time to work on it. My son had 5 weekends in a row of baseball tournaments and I was working 13 hour days 6 days a week for a while - woohoo - I can enjoy the summer now too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.