BMW Werkz banner

87 528e oil in air intake boot and manifold. help please

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  beamers4life 
#1 ·
i have a 1987 528e and i noticed a lot of oil in the intake mainforld and rubber boot conneting to he filter box. where could all this oil be comming from? is it hurting my engine? i replaced the one hose that comes out of the rubber boot because it was cracked but i still have a good bit of oil there. any suggestions?

#2 ·
87 528e

this same 87 528e has been having battery problems as well. i replaced the alternator and battery as they were both shot (yesterday). this morning i go out to start the car and nothing. completely dead, new battery. anyone know any causes for that? i have 2 5 series this 87 528e and a 2002 528i. both with battery dieing problems. this is really getting me frustrated!. any comments would help at this point.

#4 ·
no rewiring in either car. i hope the oil isnt coming from the cylinders is has 180k on it and runs really rough. i think the cap n rotor needs replaced as well. i hear clicking comming from there. dont drive the car much as i have a 2002 5 series that i like a lot more. is a compression test gona tell me if the cylinders are bad?

#6 ·
thanx whiteshark. ok cool i have a compression test kit. i will perform the test. if they are bad is that a head gasket that will need replaced or a whole new head n pistons? i have learned a lot about cars the past few years but im still not too good with the inside of the eingine yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.