BMW Werkz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone...new to the bmw scene but long time vw owner so i love german cars...ok here goes...i have an 84 bmw 325e with intake and exhaust....working on suspension mods as we speak...only thing is i want more power....what is the next step....i keep seeing all these egay chips for sale claiming 25 hp and 26 lb/ft torque....is this true or myth? any infor on what i should do is mucho appreciated!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Get a chip but understand if you have the OE 027 ECU the chip is soldered in on yours. Best to get a 1986 or later 027 ECU and then put a chip in.

I would recomend a change of differentials.
You have a 2.79 to 1 OE.
I would recommend a 3.25 or 3.42 to 1 for a snap in performance.
You can use an e30-6, e24, e28, or even a Z3 for a donor car.
The ratio is on a tag on the aft face of the differential.

The differential swap is a 3 hour deal, and with a chip will wake an eta up.

I have had mine since it was new in 1984.

Later

·
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i change out my differential then wont i have lower top speed? i like going 134 and smoking all these hondas in sacramento....btw i thought these things were speed limited? maybe not but i can do 134....i bought my car from an original owner who babied it...it has 150k on the odometer...the first things i did were weld up an N1 style muffler with 2.25 inch piping(i know i can go bigger but i dont want it toooo loud) (beautiful note...) and egay intake....thanks for the info though!! :cheers i will get some pics of my bronze beige metallic 325e soon....by the way what about headers? i know i can get em through bavarian autosport but i dont wanna pay $500+ dollars lol i know the stock headers look exremely restrictive..

·
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok one more question....when i added the adapterplate and filter i noticed there is nowhere to mount it so i ghetto mounted it...just curious if you had any good pics of how you mounted the cone..

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I found a set of headers for the 325e for around $500 thats a good 15% power increase

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by BimmerKris@Feb 5 2004, 08:00 PM
I found a set of headers for the 325e for around $500 thats a good 15% power increase
dont waste your money on $500 headers for an ETA. the best/cheapest exhaust upgrade would to use a full exhaust off a 325i/is. a chip is another good thing to do to an eta and will also raise your redline so you probably wouldnt lose any top speed with a shorter diff, i dont even think a eta can hit redline in top gear anyway. and if thats the case then a shorter diff could possibly help topspeed.

·
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the thing is i can almost tach out 5th at 140 i already have full cat back 2.25 no resonatator and high flow cat and intake i have hit 138 and with a 4600 rpm redline i was almost tached out....if i do ecu upgrade i know it will raise my redline a lot but i just dont know how high i wanna risk taking it....anyone know how high (rpm wise) the 325e 2.7 can handle?

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
All I know is my 89 325iS redlines at about 6300-6400. then it goes BDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUUDUDUDUDUD really fast then I have to slow down or shift.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lets see.

To get a AFM mount for the early model eta vist E-Bay and search, there is a vendor from Lawrence Kansas sells a plastic one for $20. I looked and nothing this week.

The OE BMW chip will shut down the engine at 128 mph.
http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacgi/data...0076&Section=03

If you add a chip it raises the redline from 4600 to 5300 and that is still OK on the single spring eta head.

You can make the e30 run faster than the e-30 m3 to 60 mph by just changing the differential.

Not a big deal just a fact.

http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacgi/data...0025&Section=03

Later,

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You would be suprised what you can do by taking a week or two and stripping the whole motor down. I bought an 86 325e with a blown motor, and got another motor with the car. When we stripped the motor we just did little things to it.

Planed the head about 30 thousandths to boost compression to 9 1/2 : 1 from 9:1(i think that is the stock number.)

Re-honed the the cylinders with a 45 degree crosshatch

Shaved the intake edges to match the gasgets

Shaved teh trottle body door for better flow

shaved the exhuast manifolds to match the gaskets and open them up

Kept the same exhuast design because appearently with the e models exhuast was as good as it could get aside from the muffler. We replaced the cat converter with a flowmaster muffler then back to a ractive high flow muffler with a 4" opening.

now the motor that did 0-60 in just under 10 sec is now doing it in just under 8. Thats with no uprades all motor. Now the headers will make a differance, a chip will make a huge difference and cool air intake will be greatly effective. I really beg to differ that the e models can be performers.

i got and extra 700 or so RPMs out of it decent performance and still get 500km to a tank of gas

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can make the e30 run faster than the e-30 m3 to 60 mph by just changing the differential.

are u actually talking about e30's in general or are u just talking about 325is? I did not know a 325e can outrun an m3 by simply changing the differentials.....since the original topic is about the ETA cars..

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by 1985bmw325e@Feb 8 2004, 09:17 PM

are u actually talking about e30's in general or are u just talking about 325is? I did not know a 325e can outrun an m3 by simply changing the differentials.....since the original topic is about the ETA cars..
yeah that link was only for 'i' models. plus the guy had no hard proof that it would actually make the 325 faster than the m3. the shorter gearing is kinda like a head start for the 325 by putting it in its powerband quicker, but i still dont think its enough to beat a M3. the M3 has 24 more horsepower and more revs to work with, and even though it has a steeper power curve it still passes up the M20 around 4500rpm

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by nukeall@Feb 24 2004, 07:57 PM
:thud Wat is ETA wat is a 325e does it mean Economic ?? man im stupid
eta is greek for efficiency. the eta or 'e' engine is the 2.7L M20 found in 325, 325e, 528e, or euro 525e models.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had 325E before, and it certainly cannot outrun an M3. Which year is the M3? the E30 style or the newer ones. Because my friend picked up a new M3. It's got 333 ponies and almost 300 pounds of torque. My 325E stock can just barely take down a Honda Civic SI. At times my civic pals would beat me and vice versa. I honestly think that I shift faster than them sometimes. E stands Eta in greek or Economy in english. The car is meant for good gas millilage and fuel efficiency. I think you gottta do more mods on the car to take down an M3. the 325E only has 121 horse. but decent torque approx. 170. As far as I remembered the 325E had a redline of 4500 rpm max you can go is probably 5500 with the chip. So the M3 has more play with revs as someone mentioned before. But I mean if you can take down an M3. Please reply back because I want to know, everything you did on the car. You guys must live in warm cities. Where I live in Canada, my 1984 325E was rusting up (should have kept it for parts, too many phantom problems). my 1991 318i feels a lot weaker but I like the convience of a 4 door. And if I really want it to move I'll downshift a gear :banghead I guess.

·
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey guys....with intake exhaust and ecu and 3.42 rear end with lsd and removed power steering and ac and fan and went electric, and short shift and 15X7 rims and sticky yokohama avs's....and a centerforce clutch...i outran an m3 in my 325e...actually 2 now....my quartermile is in low 15's....15.2 to be exact 15.1 is my besssst ever..i dont know what e30 m3's run but the guys around her in e30 m3's are runnin 15.5ish...so ya...i dont know maybe they just cant drive...or maybe my over weight guardian angel was out eating and not weighing me down...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts