• Option 3

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Option 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I started this on another forum but wanted to make it available to any werkz people who may happen to own an e31 as well.

This whole project is about 4 weeks out as we speak. I need input on what people would want if I were to offer this as a kit.

I made 4 quick mockups of possibilities. Two feature black backgrounds, 2 feature e39 m5 style gray backgrounds.

The first two are just based off the stock speedo, cleaned up a bit, kph removed, and moved to a 270 degree style speedo up to 220mph.

The last two are based off the e39 M5 speedo, again kph removed, 220mph speedo, and adapted to the correct positioning of the e31 cluster.

These are quick mockups and by no means 100% an end product.

Pricing would be in the neighborhood of $200-300 depending on # of interested people. I am investing my own personal money in this project because its something I want to do, I don't do this for a living, though the person I am having do the actual cluster cutting and fitting and final gauge cluster look does.

Option 1.

Option 2.

Option 3.

Option 4.

· Registered
6,064 Posts
I like 3 it flows the best and I like the black bg

· Registered
2,363 Posts
I like the contrast of the black background in #1 as well as the more easily readable guages with the rings better delineated and the redline shown. Have you considered adding an Oil Temp gauge to this cluster since many performance Bimmers have this feature?? Good luck with you project! :)

· Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, kinda went with "none of the above"
Its a mix between the stock cluster, and my love for chronographs.

Here is the final "rough draft" as it was sent to the fabricator to make. It'll have accurate mph markers, though the final might only go to 200mph depending on the lighting available which will be better understood once the cluster is completely apart in pieces.

Here it is:

· Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To those of you who care, and don't follow the thread in bimmerforums, the design is complete. Still working out a few bugs with lighting, but here she is...

My gauge cluster lens is scratched up, so it makes it look a bit fuzzy in the photo. But it sure does look pretty IMHO. Mostly because I designed it. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.