BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a '04 330Ci 6 speed, and I often hear about the term sequential shift in the BMW ads, how is sequential shift different than other regular stick shift? Thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Basically, it means that you can't skip gear when you are shifting. Kinda like a motorcycle, you can't go from 1st to 3rd unless you go to second.

I personally don't like SMG.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by TECH@Jan 20 2004, 07:25 PM
Basically, it means that you can't skip gear when you are shifting. Kinda like a motorcycle, you can't go from 1st to 3rd unless you go to second.

I personally don't like SMG.
thats true but thats not what all the hype of SMG is about. SMG especially SMG2 is marketed as a formula 1 style clutch-less manual gearbox and has consistantly fast shifts. Its a great piece of technology, but there will never be a replacement to having a 3rd pedal imo

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is your question more along the lines of:

"How is SMG better/worse than Steptronic?"

They both have the same concept in that you can drive it like an automatic, or take control yourself with a hand-lever (of some type). Is it just that the SMG shifts much faster???

How does the SMG work in Auto mode? The Steptronic is a pretty smoooth tranny...

·
Registered
434 Posts
The SMG is basically a manual gearbox, with a computer controlled and actuated clutch and shift linkage. The computer does all the shifting for you. There is a hydraulic pump to build pressure for the clutch operation, and the shifting linkage operation, along with the appropriate valving and solenoids to control it.
It can be set by the driver to shift smooth with a delay, or fast and firm. Throttle input plays a factor as well. It drives like a manual gearbox because it is one.

The steptronic is nothing more than an automatic transmission with a fancy feature that lets the driver shift up or down manually by tapping the shifter to and fro...it's an automatic transmission, and shifts like one.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by Fangs@Jan 20 2004, 11:08 PM
Is your question more along the lines of:

"How is SMG better/worse than Steptronic?"

They both have the same concept in that you can drive it like an automatic, or take control yourself with a hand-lever (of some type). Is it just that the SMG shifts much faster???

How does the SMG work in Auto mode? The Steptronic is a pretty smoooth tranny...
alot of people have been bringing up that question but i dont know if the search feature is up yet so i'll point out a few differences. SMG is a manual transmission, with a clutch and everything, only instead of a 3rd pedal the clutch is electronically operated by the shift knob or paddles and drops it in to the next gear at extremely fast speeds (.08 sec between shifts for SMG-2). Steptronic is a automatic transmission and when in manual mode nudging the shift knob forward or backward tells the transmission to switch gears. although SMG does the same thing, steptronic has the lag of an automatic transmission and will always act like one, therefore you have nothing to gain performance wise by using it. SMG does have a automated mode but wont always be as smooth as a steptronic auto depending on the settings and driving conditions.

edit: looks like TECH beat me to it :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts