BMW Werkz banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hu?? So I called the local parts supply and asked the price on a set of plug wires for a 91 750il, no big deal right? Floored me!!! $550.00 for just the wires no harness, no plugs, no dist. caps or rotors, and no lube for my arse. I just couldnt believe it. Even the kid on the phone was shocked after confirming that in fact that was the price. The dealer wanted over $800 but at least it came with the harness from them.:eek:hnoes

Does anyone know of a set made from earthly material that will work on my car????? Maybe GM, Ford, Kia, Hugo??

Thanks

John

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Hu?? So I called the local parts supply and asked the price on a set of plug wires for a 91 750il, no big deal right? Floored me!!! $550.00 for just the wires no harness, no plugs, no dist. caps or rotors, and no lube for my arse. I just couldnt believe it. Even the kid on the phone was shocked after confirming that in fact that was the price. The dealer wanted over $800 but at least it came with the harness from them.:eek:hnoes

Does anyone know of a set made from earthly material that will work on my car????? Maybe GM, Ford, Kia, Hugo??

Thanks

John
Are you talking about spark plug leads? Down here you can go and get premade sparkplug leads of various lengths from the local parts shops, they may not be exactly the same color, shape or taste as the one you have already, but they will probably do the job just fine.:eek:hnoes

·
W00T
2,714 Posts
You know, honestly that sounds about right. You do have 12 cylinders. I know good wires for my 91 318 were 150, and it is only a 4 cylinder.

But you may want to try Bavauto.com they might have a set for a little less money.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I may just take you up on that Marti5. I really do appreciate the offer. I am going to do a little research on my end and see what I can come up with first. I am curious if there is a workable conversion.

It still blows me away. Radiator $300 (new), Transmission $600 (not rebuilt but working), Entire Motor $800 (not rebuilt but running good). Its like buying an entire vault for $50 but having to pay 10k for the combination LOL. I'll keep you posted. Thanks guys

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
Thanks guys. I may just take you up on that Marti5. I really do appreciate the offer. I am going to do a little research on my end and see what I can come up with first. I am curious if there is a workable conversion.

It still blows me away. Radiator $300 (new), Transmission $600 (not rebuilt but working), Entire Motor $800 (not rebuilt but running good). Its like buying an entire vault for $50 but having to pay 10k for the combination LOL. I'll keep you posted. Thanks guys
You have to keep in mind that it was a 75,000 dollar car, in 1991 ... the car has depreciated in the 18 years, but sadly new part prices do not.

And not only that, but not a lot of parts manufacturers aside from what was OEM even make parts for them; definitely not like a Honda where you can buy a set of wires for 20 bucks, and everyone has them in stock, everywhere.

Sucks, but it's what you have to deal with when you buy any BMW, especially one as beastly and as complicated as the 750.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i agree with numark i mean its a hella lot but they shouldnt be to much cheaper

1 - 15 of 15 Posts