BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 540i E39 V8. Transmission is lazy between 1st and 2nd gear. Transmission people tell me to have a service and that it is probably a pressure problem. Cold also be a solenoid or bad electrical connection to the solenoid. BMW say that they do not need a service for life. Do I service or not? If not what do I do about the lazy change. Otherwise car is fabulous. has 180,000ks. In great condition.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
the phrase "service for life" means in practice. 120,000miles.

at 180,000... yes, your tranny should have been serviced 60,000miles ago.

If a solenoid was the problem, a scan of your vehicle will reveal that. And if there are no codes revealed in the scan, then i wd say it is time to flush tranny, change filter and refill with fresh oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the phrase "service for life" means in practice. 120,000miles.

at 180,000... yes, your tranny should have been serviced 60,000miles ago.

If a solenoid was the problem, a scan of your vehicle will reveal that. And if there are no codes revealed in the scan, then i wd say it is time to flush tranny, change filter and refill with fresh oil.
Thanks for the info. Glad to talk to someone that knows what they are talking about. I will have the service done and see how it goes. Thanks again.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.