BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
anything will fit for the right price. but as far as dropping it in i am not sure

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey,
so you want to drop an M5 motor into your 528i, huh? That can definately be done, but will take a lot of money and cause you a lot of headaches. you will have to not only get ahold of the M5 motor and tranny and diff, but you will need to upgrade the braking system to accomodate the additional power and weight added to the car, you will also need to upgrade the suspension (again, for weight and handling). You must then make an exhaust system that will work with the motor on your car. And I haven't even mentioned getting ahold of the ECU for the M5 motor and wiring it into your car or having to fab up motor mounts and all that jazz. But like I said, if this is something you really want to do, it can be done. If you are planning on having a shop convert your car for you, or even help you for that matter, you should just look into getting a nice E28 M5 (I am assuming thats the motor you are talking about putting into your car), for about the same price or even less than that conversion will cost you....also, you know it will be done right from the factory. HTH.

·
Retired administrator
5,996 Posts
big problems I see involved in anything but an E28 M5 engine swap:

1. engine fitment/mounting
2. trans fitment/mounting
3. exhuast system
4. custom driveshaft fabrication
5. custom LSD mounting, a newer M5 engine, even the E34 one would blow your differential to hell and back
6. instrumentation for new engine
7. weight distribution/ suspension issues

I could probably make the list go on and on... it would be cheaper to buy one...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
hey i got an idea

welcome to bmw-forums.. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Originally posted by old_bm_collector@Oct 18 2003, 12:40 AM
i just brought a 1982 528i, does anyone know if you can swap a newer year M5 engine?? does it fit?
You can get a "baby six" which is your application with 185-195hp. This gives you the same hp as the E28 533/535 without having to make any modifications to your car.
You can get it HERE

If you want to swap a "big six" you will be looking at fabricating motor mounts, different tranny, harness etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts