BMW Werkz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my parents 1998 528i BMW is haveing troubled accelerateing up hills, and sometimes when u hit the gass it does not accelerate the way it is suppposed to.
it seems to hand at atound 2800-3000 rpm when that problem happens, and then just shifts gears. and its semi normal then....
what could this be?
a damaged gear?
it is automatic, and has been driven by my mother, who never pushes the car, i have punished the car a few times, but nothing that would dammage it(by punnish i mean pushing it to the max)

anny ideas as to what could be going wrong?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Fuel filter? Maybe the mass air sensor that is know to go out on BMW's.
Does your screen name mean you are a Jimmy Buffett fan 'Parrothead"? :thumbs

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i own a 98 528i and they all suck during uphill acceleration.. the car has the best responce after 3000 rpm.. personally id say its normal dude.. your pushing 4500lbs car with a 2.8L 190 bhp engine up a hill what would you expect..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not normal, i can say that much for certain.
also the check engine light is always on, mainly because they ran Aviation fuel through the car for the majority of its life....
thats 100 octane fuel but it kills the cat and other stuff...
so maybe it is that mass air sensor.
anny way i can check that?
w/paying an arm and a leg for it

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
you mean to tell me that the engine light in your bmw comes on? whats next electrical problems.. lol

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
its not the maf.. but if your worried about it pull it out and clean it with brake cleans or somethin..

when was the last time you did maintenence to the vehicle e.i oil change, plug, filters...?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure, its my moms car, and i used ot do all that good stuff to it for hr when i was in hs....
il ask my father, it might be that....
but idk.... it is fairly consistent with when it goes bad

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
check the records and get back to us..

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
dude the O2 sensors are probably bad as well as your cats.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I would also say its normal - i've driven quite a few 6cyl. 5 series, none of them like going up hill that much - not even the 530s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does your screen name mean you are a Jimmy Buffett fan 'Parrothead"?
yes, it does mean im a Buffett fan.... one of the best buffett fans!
his concerts @ alpine valley are by far the best concerts ever...

·
Registered
74 Posts
:cya

I have same problem with my 2000 528i, acceleration SUCk big time. Any idea what I can do to make the car feel like 330CI (my other car)?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
hey dude welcome to the site.

read the above posts they should help you out..

·
Registered
74 Posts
:D

The car still feel really really slow.. pickup slow, up hill slow. down hill slow. I don't think even with 20 - 30 HP increase going to help.

I just got back from FL Thanksgiven weekend, passed few speed zone/trip. I notice my speed is off by 5-10 mpg.. faster I drive more off.. do anyone think this will cause my car acceleration slow?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts