BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic title taken right from the March 2004 Car & Driver - just arrived today! :D

To cut to the chase, the BMW included in the test was a 2004 325i - it took 2nd place behind the G35.

Pretty good article - many great things to say about the 325i. With all the praise, it sounds like it should have come in first. They noted with a little more power, it would have.

A few little tidbits I noticed - 1) it had the worst HP to weight ratio of the group but was still 3rd fastest 0-60 out of 7 vehicles (Acura TL, Audi 3.0, Infiniti G35, Jaguar X-type 3.0, Lexus IS300, & Sabb 9-3 Arc). 2) Rated 1st overall in the chassis category, and 3) placed first (perfect score 25 out of 25) in the 'fun to drive' category. That's what it's all about, right?! :thumbs

There was also an article about the new Cadillac CTS-V being compared to an M3 & M5. I recommend picking up the issue!

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
bmw knows how to build their cars... they should have tested a 330 and it would have placed first.

i'll pick it up tomorrow (if i am not trapped by snow...looks like it)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Tough call infinty's are sweet two overall drive though nothin beats BMW

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They noted a 330i would have fallen in the price range of the test at it's base price, but good luck finding one at that. Most are around 40K + with the right options.

I've always enjoyed C & D - their articles include some wit and humor, unlike those bums at MotorTrend. Their tests usually involve a Taurus vs. Malibu, or Voyager vs. Windstar.

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
no magazine for me today... at least not during the morning hours. too much work cleaning the car from all the damn snow

·
Registered
163 Posts
BMW just has some good competition now. =) The Infiniti is a great car.. entry-luxury just like the 3er... Sport Luxury if you will. The Infiniti is on a great platform, has a very sturdy and proven engine, great suspension setup, and pretty good looks. I was looking at them way before I even considered getting a 3er. The thing is.... when I drove the BMW there was no contest. I liked the steering input and other driving feel over the G35. I also felt that the interior was a few points above the G35. The leather is a bit more comfy, better use of wood, and almost exclusively soft-touch plastics(which the G35 has little if any inside).

It's really going to come down to personal preference on that one... They're close enough in price to be shopping buddies(4-7k difference). If I had one I wouldn't be complaining.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts