BMW Werkz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Premium Member
12,082 Posts
It should be available already, but I don't think the dealerships will be keeping many in stock. At the time, only a sedan is available. There is no manual transmission option, since the engine produces so much torque that BMW didn't find a transmission that they felt comfortable matching to it.

· Registered
266 Posts
They have them in vegas so they should have them in LA. Why go with a diesel? They stink after awhile. Besides, diesel costs more than regular gas, so where is the savings. Then you have to think about who is going to know how to work on one.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have them in vegas so they should have them in LA. Why go with a diesel? They stink after awhile. Besides, diesel costs more than regular gas, so where is the savings. Then you have to think about who is going to know how to work on one.
Diesel fuel costs seems to be dropping. Very good point on your last sentence. I figure, BMW warranty will take care of most things.

· Help from over the pond
3,230 Posts
I did read somewhere that the E90 325 diesel variant wasnt going to be sold in the USA.

· Premium Member
12,082 Posts
Besides, diesel costs more than regular gas, so where is the savings.
Let us see. 335i does 27 mpg city, 26 mpg highway. For the 335d, the figures are 23/36. That is a 35% improvement for the d over the i for city driving, and a 38% improvement at highway speeds. For the sake of simplicity, let's just say that the 335d is 35% more efficient.

The national average for premium gas (what must be used with the 335i to achieve the published fuel consumption figures) is $2.90/gal. The national average for diesel fuel is $2.68/gal. Even if one were to pump regular unleaded, the fuel efficiency of the diesel would still result in savings, since the national average price for regular is only 1.1% lower than that of diesel, at $2.65/gal.

So I don't know where you're looking, but that is where I see the savings :dunno

· Registered
7 Posts
True but we're not only discussing the savings aspect of the vehicle but the vehicle as a whole.

For instance, I'm more interested in the performance aspect. Being that its a diesel engine it produces less HP but much more TQ. How would these cars compare in that sense when bolt-ons are introduced?

I know what gas engines are capable of but I'm not sure if diesel would be as powerful or easy to mod as a conventional gas engine.

Let us see. 335i does 27 mpg city, 26 mpg highway. For the 335d, the figures are 23/36. That is a 35% improvement for the d over the i for city driving, and a 38% improvement at highway speeds. For the sake of simplicity, let's just say that the 335d is 35% more efficient.

The national average for premium gas (what must be used with the 335i to achieve the published fuel consumption figures) is $2.90/gal. The national average for diesel fuel is $2.68/gal. Even if one were to pump regular unleaded, the fuel efficiency of the diesel would still result in savings, since the national average price for regular is only 1.1% lower than that of diesel, at $2.65/gal.

So I don't know where you're looking, but that is where I see the savings :dunno

· Premium Member
12,082 Posts
True but we're not only discussing the savings aspect of the vehicle but the vehicle as a whole.

For instance, I'm more interested in the performance aspect. Being that its a diesel engine it produces less HP but much more TQ. How would these cars compare in that sense when bolt-ons are introduced?

I know what gas engines are capable of but I'm not sure if diesel would be as powerful or easy to mod as a conventional gas engine.
Well, I was addressing a post about cost savings as they relate to fuel efficiency, so that is why there is no content in my post covering what you asked.

As far as performance, it all depends on what you want. For most people that are just looking for a sporty daily driver with an automatic transmission (no manual option on the 335d), the 335d is a great choice. 265 hp is plenty good in those cases. In fact, I'd take all the torque of the diesel any day of the week over extra hp from a petrol engine.

However, I see that you have modded your car to 500 whp. In general, diesel engines are modifiable but it can become costly on certain cars/engines. Read the section about engine modifications in the following location for a primer: Diesel engines

:ninjaedit: another link I found: The First 11 Modifications - Diesel Tech - Diesel Power Magazine

· Registered
1 Posts
To respond to the original poster's questions:

1. The 335d, in North America, is only available in a sedan.
2. The 335d is only available in an AT, as BMW has stated that they currently do not have a manual transmission that is able to handle the torque that the 335d puts out.

In response to the later parts of this thread, the car has already been tweaked in the UK, to about an 80hp/50lb/ft of torque boost. No word on stateside modifications, though (at least not that I can find).

· Registered
42 Posts
Till recent Seat bomb drop on the tracks, where they swept a few races front to finish, diesel was sort of a second class citizen in the minds of the lead foot enthusiasts. This now puts on equal plane followers of the diesel fueled engines with those who prefer gasoline fueled engines. So make your pick and enjoy.

Nevertheless to me the 335i Bi-Turbo is the reason for 335i existence. The rest, well I prefer other models. One thing I thoroughly agree is that mods are different wishes in Europe, North America or Australia, and each fits in its own way according to driving customs, fuel, parts and labor availability to the amateur enthusiast.

Cheers. Bim :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.