BMW Werkz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I recently got into an accident with my 1996 E36 328i where my nose was pushed in and the grills popped out. At first the hood release was stuck, but eventually opened. Now that the hood has been opened it can't be closed properly. The hood catches don't seem to lock when I close it nor does the hood release handle tighten up. Nothing appears bent and the holes line up. I'm not sure if it's just the bent nose piece preventing proper closure or if maybe the hood release cable is broken.

A friend of mine is going to replace the nose and whatnot, so I'm trying to have all the parts available when he has time to fix it (hard to get a hold of him). Not sure if I need a new hood release cable or hood catch. The latch seems to be fine as it does catch/release properly.

Also my air duct cover is cracked on the left side, how important would it be to replace that?

As you can see in the image below the dented nose (bought a new one online the other day).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
answer to your query is best left to a collision expert.

although BMW sets standards and measurements about how the hood, catch and lock should be... the standards are not set in stone. There are tolerances with which these pieces work and only a trained eye and some experience will best decide the what , the how, and what it might take to get things back in order.

As a result of the collision, there will be things, parts, and alignments not visible to the eye that have deviated from the factory "settings". Simple replacement of parts you see damaged may or may not work. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
i just re built my 325i and it was 5 times worse haha your hood pins and latches look good all you should need to do is replace the nose piece and you should be alright just check to make sure the secondary latch is still hooked up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.