BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:blink: I want to change my 2.5 engine with a 2.8 engine, both E36. Which parts I have to change, and especially which tranny rate has the 2.5 and 2.8 engine?? I want to start this project asap........

Maybe anyone has done this before, or has helpfull information......

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
as far understanding the question im sort of lost,,, but i dont think you really need to change the tranny but if you get it with the engine than do it.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
if you really want a swap, get a 95 OBD1 M engine. Unless your motor is completely shot, you notice much differnce in the 328; certainly not enough to warrant the cost.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
yeah the difference between the 2 engines is barely anything, if you are going to change your engine, then go with an m or else sell your 325 and just buy a 328, dont switch the 2 engines.

David

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by bigred318@Jan 3 2004, 02:23 AM
yeah the difference between the 2 engines is barely anything, if you are going to change your engine, then go with an m or else sell your 325 and just buy a 328, dont switch the 2 engines.

David
you guys are sort of wrong, there is a big difference between the two engines, i believe almost a whole second (more like 0.9sec) in the 0-60 and i cant remember the 1/4 but there is a difference.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Its true there is a difference, but is it large enough to warrant the cost. The same performance, if not higher, could be reached by boring, port+polish, and CAIing the 2.5 for a lower cost than a full swap.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A second-hand 2.8 engine from 95 with 80K costs about 900 euro ($1150). That's not the difference between my '91 325i and a completely '95 328i (4500 euro). Because the engine of my car has a broken headgasket, and a lot of things have to built out, I want to install a 2.8 litre engine.............

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still doubt about it............ :bravo

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
from the 2.5 to 2.8 is not a big differnce really...only a few hp. but go with the 3.0l

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by e36_m3_Turbo@Jan 10 2004, 05:51 PM
from the 2.5 to 2.8 is not a big differnce really...only a few hp. but go with the 3.0l
You guys must not have looked at the torque curves. Who cares if there's only a couple horsepower more. That does not mean they are almost the same. There is so much more torque with the 2.8L. This means BMW just must have put more power into the midrange of the 28 and more in the top end on the 25.

I just found this to help prove my point:
http://www.eurospeedperformance.com/Articles/328m50.htm
If you don't get why this proves anything then you don't deserve to know.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
If you have to rebuild your 2.5 then sure go for the 2.8, however, why not spend a little more and go all out for an M engine? I agree with you though, if you have to replace the engine any way get the best (ie. most hp or torque) one that you can afford.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I don't know what you would rather do... Buy somebody elses worn out, tired out motor and pay big money to do a complete swap, all that work and get another used motor which could blow on you shortly there-after... Or tear your 2.5 down, pull the pistons, rods, crank, check the crank for Out-of-roundness, bearing sleeves for groves, get the crank turned and balanced if it needs it, have the block bored out to either equal a 2.8, or possible 3.0.. I don't know the exact limits, buy new oversized pistons, maybe even performance pistons, get a set of M3 cams for the head, stiffer springs, etc... you get my drift...... your going to be able to build your existing motor on your own and you'd be better off..... I hate doing motor swaps, especially for a used motor to go in... all that work to find out the motor blows 3 weeks or even 1 month later.... whats your choice??

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
having the engine rebuilt and tweeked would yeild you similar if not surpassed pefromance for less.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your advise, guys! I have installed a new headgasket, I really don't know if I should swap the engine now. I have to put up my car for sale, because I going to leave this country for my final technical institute project...... But, when I am back, I buy a new/other bimmer!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
well if your selling it, don't waste anymore money on the car than you really have to..

·
WOT in Reverse
3,441 Posts
It sounds like the debate is pretty much over but I thought I might put in my two cents....

I have a 1995 325is that recently enjoyed an engine swap. Zionsville Autosport of Indianapolis, IN dropped in a 1996 328i (2.8L) engine. Adding the OBDII and a Borla Stainless DTM exhaust to the mix, I know enjoy (on paper) very similar performance to a 1995 M3. However, I have a friend who has a 1995 M3 in great shape (74K miles) and I consistently out accelerate his car once we get passed 70MPH. I have also modified the suspension so as to recreate similar handling to the M cars. So I must say, if you can find a low mileage 2.8L, it is certainly worth the money.

Also. there is very little that doesn't match up between the two, save maybe the fuel pressure reg. and a few other small components that must be relocated.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by jllphan@Mar 2 2004, 06:41 PM
It sounds like the debate is pretty much over but I thought I might put in my two cents....

I have a 1995 325is that recently enjoyed an engine swap. Zionsville Autosport of Indianapolis, IN dropped in a 1996 328i (2.8L) engine. Adding the OBDII and a Borla Stainless DTM exhaust to the mix, I know enjoy (on paper) very similar performance to a 1995 M3. However, I have a friend who has a 1995 M3 in great shape (74K miles) and I consistently out accelerate his car once we get passed 70MPH. I have also modified the suspension so as to recreate similar handling to the M cars. So I must say, if you can find a low mileage 2.8L, it is certainly worth the money.

Also. there is very little that doesn't match up between the two, save maybe the fuel pressure reg. and a few other small components that must be relocated.

I can't believe that........ Let me explain.... A '95 M3 has a power of 210 kW (the 3.0 litre engine). The 328i from 1996 just 142 kW. Between these cars, there's only a weight difference of 100 kg (210 lbs????). I couldn't believe that a few tuning-parts get still so much improvement, or be faster as an original M3??! Convince me! :poke

·
WOT in Reverse
3,441 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but I'll have to reply in BHP due to the fact that I'm not exactly sure how to convert to kW. The stock M52 2.8L has 192bHP compared to a 1995 M3 receiving 240bHP. Adding the OBDII conversion (to OBD1) see- Zionsville Autosport This came out to an increase on my car to about +28bHP bringing it to 220bHP, a Borla high performance stainless exhaust with no cat tested out to an addition of 13bHP (seemed a little high). This brings the total horsepower to 233bHP-- a marginal diference between my car and a stock '95 M3. Due to the fact that my car is equiped with the VANOS system, you can see that my car could potentially out accelerate an M3 in the higher rpm range. I'm not saying my car is better than an M3 in all regards by any means, but it is much improved over a stock 1995 325is. I didn't mention torque in here, but if you take a look at the stock 2.8L engine(Stock: M52 2.8L=207/ '95 M3=225) , you can imagine how impressive the numbers are after the mods that have been made. I'll see if I can find the numbers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts