BMW Werkz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been a while, but .. im pretty sure i made an account here but for some reason i couldn't log on. Oh well but hi well i just resurfaced my Heads on my '84 325e and port polished them mostly done at home, but i know as much as . hmmm what i read and see. I'm new to being mechanic and all but willing to learn, what i read was to actually get power for the 325e was to replace the headers with 325i headers but keep the 325e bottom crank, which sounds expensive maybe you guys can give me some opinions?. What i'm planning to do is get a cone filter and build a heat shield research an ECU and maybe even an exhaust system. Please i'm open for opinion, i'm a full time student with an avg budget but plenty of time so.....please all suggestions welcome

·
Registered
200 Posts
Two things will wake that car up.

Get a chip for the ECU, they are around $50 on E-Bay.

Get a gear ratio change for the differential.

You can use any of the following with a better ratio.

The ratio is on a tag on the aft face of the differential.

The OE 1984 eta was a 2.79 to 1.

I recommend 3.25 to 3.73 to 1.

You can use a differential from any of the following cars
e30-6, e28, e24, z3

Here is a link for reference as to the possibles.

http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacgi/data...0025&Section=03

Later,

·
Registered
108 Posts
carter's right... but i don't agree 100%...

first off, get a chip from turner motorsport, not an ebay chip... bunch of little reasons why i'd rather go to turner, bav auto, or some other tuner than ebay

second, i wouldn't go any higher than a 3.45lsd in the rear. any higher than that & you're really hurtin your gas milage more than you probably want for a street car.

third... yes... you can do a 325i head swap. it's not a direct bolt on though & works better w/ a 325i intake manifold, TB etc. my plans involve picking up a beat 325i & rebuilding the engine w/ an eta crankshaft, eta connecting rods & either euro eta (1st choice) or super eta pistons. that'll HOPFULLY put me somewhere around 185-190hp & 210 or so ft/lbs if i do it right

although, since we're both pretty much in the same boat right now as far as mods (all i have is a bav auto chip, which i'm plenty happy w/), i suggest doing suspension work first, then going to more serious engine mods :thumbs

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well put it this way if u go to e30 networks they have the instructions ... and i'm done with the tear down part because i got my heads resurfaced and replacing my headgasket unit whole kit ..so its "naked" right now email me with some tips plz oreo [email protected] thnx if u have "AIM" it'd be helpful too

·
Registered
108 Posts
Originally posted by pogiboy9@Nov 29 2003, 02:41 AM
well put it this way if u go to e30 networks they have the instructions ... and i'm done with the tear down part because i got my heads resurfaced and replacing my headgasket unit whole kit ..so its "naked" right now email me with some tips plz oreo [email protected] thnx if u have "AIM" it'd be helpful too
.... yeah i have AIM... see the little button below my sig? looks like this "
" ... click it :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Oreo for the site link, i just remembered thats the site i got the idea from in the first place hahah forgot it .. lol

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Putting the i head on an e block will decrease power, you will need pistons and other stuff to, a chip is good, and shave the head for more compression. i shaved mine about 30 thou and am at 9.5:1 Compression. Look for mid range power, don't try and make it have top end, the motor is not designed for that. with a little work a eta can be pretty quick. Mine does 0-60 in about 7.5 sec. i still want headers and an different diff, with a cool air intake as well.

There used to be a really good article on the e30 zone about the head swap. It doesn't seem to be there anymore. Maybe someone else has it and can post it. It basicly says that the e block has flat topped pistons, and therefore flat chambers in the head, the i block has domed pistons, and therefore the head chambers are domed. So just adding the head with signifiganly drop comression, do to the extra space in the chamber for the domed shape. I'm pretty sure thats the story, maybe someone else can confirm it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Originally posted by CiscoKid@Apr 26 2004, 07:44 PM
is 325e a 2.7l
:thumbs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, not too sure if I am using this right, but hey... I have a '87 325e..and recently aquired a '91 wrecked 325i ...the engine is pretty much distroyedwith the exception of the head and intake..everyone tells me that the head will NOT change over to my "E" because of lowering my compression to 7.1.. but will I get anywhere with changing the cam and double valve springs? I have ordered a chip(EBAY) sorry!, I guess that might not be a smart move after loking on this site.

Thanks
Rick
LexLuthor

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by Lexluthor@May 3 2004, 10:12 PM
Hey, not too sure if I am using this right, but hey... I have a '87 325e..and recently aquired a '91 wrecked 325i ...the engine is pretty much distroyedwith the exception of the head and intake..everyone tells me that the head will NOT change over to my "E" because of lowering my compression to 7.1.. but will I get anywhere with changing the cam and double valve springs? I have ordered a chip(EBAY) sorry!, I guess that might not be a smart move after loking on this site.

Thanks
Rick
LexLuthor
i got a cheap chip from ebay for my eta made a big difference

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what I am seeing there is a difference between a 325 and a 325e.. apparently a 325 has 127hp...and a 325e has 121hp...is this right? I have a '87 o ethe deck lid it says 325...does this mean I have the big 127? :naughty

Lexluthor

·
Registered
47 Posts
As far as I know the 88-(89?) eta also known as the "super eta" are the only one with the "big 127 HP" you'll know you have a super eta because they are the only eta with big taillights and diving boards

·
Registered
179 Posts
When i start to mod my 325e, my line up will be like this:

Jim Comforti chip (IMO, this is the BEST chip you can buy for any e30. It is worth the 200 or something dollars you pay for)

3.25 or 3.43 LSD differential

325i cams, or shrick cams

1 - 17 of 17 Posts