BMW Werkz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 euro 323i and need the ETM (electrical troubleshooting manual). I need the diagrams to help convert the wiring harness for the 327 engine now installed ('88 with S head). The 85's wiring doesn't appear consistent with the US models of the same year.

Can anyone point me to a download of the european model ETM? I've already searched the pdf factories to no avail.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have an 85 euro 323i and need the ETM (electrical troubleshooting manual). I need the diagrams to help convert the wiring harness for the 327 engine now installed ('88 with S head). The 85's wiring doesn't appear consistent with the US models of the same year.

Can anyone point me to a download of the european model ETM? I've already searched the pdf factories to no avail.

Thanks
You are having problems because you CANNOT interface the harness from and 85 323i to the electrics of an 88 327s. (i.e. computer will be a mismatch ans so will a host of sensors)

Better option for you is to obtain the whole harness including DME etc... and install that on the 85 shell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darkhorse, you've been presumptuous as that is what is being done. The problem lies in patching the 88 wiring system to the existing connectors of the 85 dash and fusebox. Just need the ETM to identify and verify the wires. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
tsk, I suppose you do know ?... that using a eurospec cluster in the US is not allowed by law, right?

In trying register a euro car for use inside the U.S. the first thing the DMV will check is the cluster that MUST read MPH (eurocars read in KPH).

That said, it's a waste of ur time to match wiring because you will end up having to change cluster anywayz... whether you like it or not ;-)

Might as well, do the same with the fusebox, right? :rule

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car was federalized years ago. As much as your input may seem helpful, all I have requested is the euro ETM to make the wire id easier. I can work out the rest - it isn't brain science.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Marti5. The "e" was for the US models, and it appears my euro is slightly different. Unfortunately, I haven't found much documentation for the euro models.

I appreciate the help.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Glad to be of some help....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
323i is referenced in the tables, and I was so happy to finally have some input, I totally overlooked the obvious - this ETM is for the E21. Sh_t.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Marti. These are the US 325 versions, and I seem to differ from the Euro 323 M20 wiring. The 320 documents are closest and may work as the 323i in Europe had the M20 with L Jettronic and a revised head. I have a feeling there is cross-over in the usage.

We've gotten the wiring pretty well worked out now anyway. I have to convert the temp sensor, as it seems to have a different thermal resistance and the guage is not operating across its range. Otherwise, the remainder of the dash seems good. We'll see...

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Oh well, glad your getting there.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts