BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Obviously new to the site... Anyways I’m thinking of purchasing a 1997 BMW 318ti (hatchback) with about 76k miles. Just wanted to ask owners of the car what they think of it, I've read a lot about it, but not really enough to satisfy my needs, so go ahead and post facts and personal opinions please.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i think the car looks unfinished without the full rear end the other 3 series have...and if you get it make sure you dont get an auto...the 1.8L motor and a slushbox dont go together very well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I say if you have a little extra cash, just go with the 3-series. I'm not really a fan of the four banger bimmers, but if that is what you like, and you want to get it, go for it. Welcome!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
if u want the Ti but wit some punch..stick the AA s/c in or but a M52(m3 engine) in it :thumbs

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i dont think we have any 4cyl owners on this board except for M3Pilots E30 M3. i think u should stretch for the 318is, get a e30 if u have to, theyre very fun cars B)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops didnt know this site was for the big dogs :D

J/k, I'm concidering the ti for a couple of reasons,

1 its compact

2 its cheap

3 its a BMW!

Please don't hate! I know what your thinking ...its not a real BMW... but it really is, feels like one to me!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Originally posted by BMW318ti@May 20 2003, 08:18 AM

1 its compact

2 its cheap

3 its a BMW!

Please don't hate! I know what your thinking ...its not a real BMW... but it really is, feels like one to me!
We're not here to hate BMW318ti..see my av?? it's 'all about the bim' :yup

Welcome dude!! :thumbs

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
hey i seen some sick ti's that i would to take anyday..so im dissin

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by BMW318ti@May 20 2003, 07:18 AM

1 its compact

2 its cheap

3 its a BMW!

well you still kinda get a low grade interior compared to the regular E36's, but like i said earlier deffinately consider the E30. even though they arent as stylish at first glance, after a couple weeks of driving it you'll be glad you took it over the E36. the 1991 318is' are hot, especially with a few cheap mods. ive driven a 1991 E30 318is and a 1992 E36 318is and even tho the E36 seemed like a slightly nicer car, i would take the E30 over it anyday. it has the same engine as the E36 and is very reliable. just something to consider B)

·
Retired administrator
5,996 Posts
there's nothing wrong with driving a 4 cylinder car. Welcome. I'm the tech guy, so feel free to ask me any questions in the Tech Forum.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
what kind of condition is it in? and what's the asking price.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
found some nice Ti pics...heres a 330ti
[/img] and yes i lik these even though im not a big fan of them

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
heres the dl on the ti.

the 95 is a 1.8 w/138 HP
the 96+ is a 1.9 w 140 HP and a litte more torque as well.

It weighs less than any other 318, so it is slightly faster. It also utilizes a completly different body structure (obviously) but this includes the undercarriage. The ti is based on the platform of an e30. As a result, the differential, driveshaft, and tranny (not quite sure but almost on the tranny) are not compatable with other 3ers. Same is true for a small number of engine parts and accessories. The interior is designed different and uses cheaper materials. Most have cloth seats. If a ti is what you are set on, get a 96+ with the action package (m-tec junk, such as the red one above) or one with the california roof (entire roof is made of cloth and is basically a convertable).

I would also like to mention my step brother has a black 95ti. he likes it but complains of its sluggishness (its an auto, big surprise). You must get a manual if you want the car to get out of its own way.

·
Registered
560 Posts
the 318ti is alot of bang for the buck! Its a bimmer....get it.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by RetroSpek@May 20 2003, 11:28 AM
the 318ti is alot of bang for the buck! Its a bimmer....get it.
thats if its tite lik those pics i posted :thumbs

1 - 20 of 44 Posts