BMW Werkz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and in search of info google couldn't find me. I recently bought a brand new mazdaspeed protege after having only driven RWD my whole driving career. Long story short I ended up in the hospital after a bad accident, car totalled. I now am in the market for another car. I was lookin around for something small, rwd would be nice and with some juice. I'm browsing autotrader.com and come across a 1996 318TI ///M edition, claiming to be 210hp at the wheels as per a dyno test. Has anyone heard of this car? or could anyone possibly point me to some information about it? Im interested in the drivetrain and suspension, wondering if its the same as m3 (LSD, final gear ratio, etc), how much torque it makes, at what rpm it really starts making power, how much it weighs, compression ratio, basically the whitepages on it.
thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
it sounds like it is just a 318 with the M3 motor/tranny

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
hmm if it was an M edition all it would be is the skirt package and maybe sport seats. if its claiming 210 to the wheels someone has dropped an M engine in it. have a real close look at the car if you decide to go with it, ask for the dyno chart ect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the guy claims he doesnt have the dyno chart, but was just told the car made 210 when he bought it, and dynos can only report power at the wheels..
here's a pic of it here

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
keep asking him questions, like where did he get the engine from and where did he swap it at? etc etc

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Total BS.

210 is bogus claim. Stock output is below 150 and the only upgrades he listed were intake and exhuast. i'll give a large curve and say he puts out 165. However, with the large wheels and sub, he's added wieght that rakes away froim the power gains.

Were it an M-swap, HP would be well above 210. The sport package on the ti is nothing more than an M-tech body kit and springs.

Do not buy this car. The seller is dishonest and hoping to sell the car to an uninformed buyer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
stock the engines put out like 140.....a downing atlanta supercharger would put it up right around 210...but 210 at the wheels?... not so sure about that.

as previously stated, the M edition ti was only an easthetic package (skirts, clips, seats, etc.)

i could def. be wrong, but id like to raise the BS flag on the guy sellin it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
He doesn't have the dyno to prove it's 210 HP? How does he know then? He believed what someone else told him when he bought the car? I'm pretty new to the BMW world myself, but even I can call

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thats pretty funny because I ran into the same car a few weeks back browsing autotrader. I was wondering the same questions, let us know what you find out in the end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there's a good chance i'll drive up to greensboro today, its about a 75min drive BLAH because at the moment, my only mode of transportation is a 1993 suzuki sidekick, with heat that smells like piss and a quasi-functioning radio

·
Registered
38 Posts
Reading this again on a new day, it seems like such bs, I feel compelled to call
a second time.

·
Registered
698 Posts
so where did he get off saying it had like 210hp? Was he going by a 6 cylinder then adding for the mods or what? Probably just looked up specs and didn't realize he had a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I wouldn't buy it because of the sheer arrogance of the seller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a kid I go to school with that has an M package on his 318ti. It has an M body kit, brakes, suspension, wheels, and M accents in the interroir. Other than that, its is just a regular 318ti with a 4 banger. And there is no way you can get that kind of hp with just an intake and exhaust. I have a Intake and Exhaust on my 95 318 andthere is no way it makes more than 155hp...never mind 210.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
there actually are quite a few 318 with an M3 engine so don't be suprised if you see one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts