BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a nice 95 318ti the other day, which fired a quick shot of blue smoke out of the exhaust. After a split second it was gone and I didn't get anymore smoke even during heavy acceleration.

The guy selling the car said that it always does that when it sits for a while, and that it is normal. My experience with cars (however limited) tells me that something is wrong and to run away now.

What do you think? Is this normal? The car had sat for about 3 months. Should I go back there and see if it does it again, or not bother looking at it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I heard that it's oil being brunt. Which I guess would mean that it leaks and/or burns oil.
I'm not sure... just what I have heard.
-Adam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I am sure that it is burning oil. I just wonder if there is something really wrong or if it is normal if the motor sits for a while, like the guy said.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
This is normal but you might have to replace the battery in the very near future as it has had no charge..

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
yeah, it happens to my car whenever i go out of town for extended periods, but otherwise never smokes. As far as oil consuption goes i lose about 1 qt every 3k.

·
Registered
878 Posts
run your finger on the inside of the exhaust pipe...right at the end. about an inch in. you should be able to get a silky smooth black lining on your fingers. if it is wet and kinda gross...i hear that is a good judgemnet on burning oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts