BMW Werkz banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my bimmer, 1992 318is, has never been a perfect vehicle, but here of late it's just taken the biggest, excuse my french, shit I've ever witnessed.
I guess I should start from the beginning.

I get in my car one day and turn the key, it delays for a bit and finally cranks up after much duress, I drive off and think nothing of it. Well the problem gradually progressed to the point to where one of three things would happen. One, absoloutely nothing happens, no cranking, no turning over, nada. Two, I'd hear clicking but no turning over. Three, the engine would attempt cranking and turn over endlessly with no results. I suspected the starter was going out but as I am military personell, I didn't really have the time or money to go and fix it. Well, I still needed a car, so I would push start the damn thing and pop the clutch. This worked for a while untill one fateful day, the engine would try to crank when I push started it, and then it would die.

I finally got some time to get underneath her and saw that the signal cable to the starter from the ignition switch had come loose and was missing a nut. I jerry rigged the contacts to the terminal and tried cranking it.... VROOOM. The engine started up however, it never became self sufficent. I had to keep the starter running and the throttle on full. If I let off on either, the engine died. This worked twice I believe. Now, even with the starter rigged, I get nothing. It's still not working... at all. To make the problem worse, hard to believe seeing as how I got so pissed off that I threw every tool I had at the time at the wall, the drivers side door latch quit working. My drivers side door is perminantly open. Great. I get super pissed off and go inside for the night. I come back to the project the next day and since the door was open all night and the following day, the battery was dead.

So, ladies and gentlemen, any advice, words of wisdom, or should I just go blow the thing up in the middle of the deasert and just watch her burn?

Respectfully yours,

Onepissedmarine:emo

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check it.

The way it acts on start up makes me wonder about the fuel filter. Wishing you the best of luck on it!
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out and keep you all posted!

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Story teller of the year.

I can't really help to much, but dude, you tell awesome stories!

are you stationed in Europe?
I appreciate the compliment. I'm stationed in the states in the middle of a freaking deasert. It sucks. I'd love to be stationed in Europe though.

· Registered
24 Posts
It seems that you have two (at least) things happening simutaneously. Starter issues for one. Start-and-run issues for two. Hopefully the battery recovers after a slow low-amp charge over several hours.(check the water/acid level...)

1. secure the wiring to the starter once and for all.do it right. I know it's not an easy thing an early M42's. check search on forums..this is a very active one:

3 series (E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93) - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

this one's been around forever and posts go waay back:

The BMW 3 Series (E36) Forum

2.check for vacuum leaks: esp. at air intake elbow, but anywhere that rubber is used in the engine bay that draws a vacuum. You can temporary half-azz duct/metal tape any leaks, but be prepared to change out bad hose(s) ASAP. The desert air is just drying out your junk! (where are you, 29 palms?)

KO Performance is the closest parts shipper if your in Cali. and they bump stuff to overnite-air or USPS next-day no extra charge almost all the time. Great prices too.

KO Performance - High End Import Performance and OEM Parts, car parts

hope this helps a little. It's not much I know; but use the search on the forums to try and narrow down specific problems and solutions that have been identified and worked out in the past. The info you've posted is kinda too vaque still.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems that you have two (at least) things happening simutaneously. Starter issues for one. Start-and-run issues for two. Hopefully the battery recovers after a slow low-amp charge over several hours.(check the water/acid level...)

1. secure the wiring to the starter once and for all.do it right. I know it's not an easy thing an early M42's. check search on forums..this is a very active one:

3 series (E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93) - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

this one's been around forever and posts go waay back:

The BMW 3

Series (E36) Forum

2.check for vacuum leaks: esp. at air intake elbow, but anywhere that rubber is used in the engine bay that draws a vacuum. You can temporary half-azz duct/metal tape any leaks, but be prepared to change out bad hose(s) ASAP. The desert air is just drying out your junk! (where are you, 29 palms?)

KO Performance is the closest parts shipper if your in Cali. and they bump stuff to overnite-air or USPS next-day no extra charge almost all the time. Great prices too.

KO Performance - High End Import Performance and OEM Parts, car parts

hope this helps a little. It's not much I know; but use the search on the forums to try and narrow down specific problems and solutions that have been identified and worked out in the past. The info you've posted is kinda too vaque still.

You ... rock my world. I'll definately try that stuff!

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, quick question before I pay out the ass to have this thing towed from my garage and pay out the ass again to have it looked at... How do I check for the vaccum leak myself? Should I just wrap all the rubber bellows and what not in ductape and pray it works?

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pretty much gave up and took it to a mechanic. They just have more tools and what not. I got it there and the guy took one look at me and said, well, i don't want to take your money, because it's gonna take more than the car's worth. So. Yeah. Im gonna have him give me the details, and if -I- can't fix it, it looks like my time on BMW's is over and done with for now. Wish me luck, I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks for all the advice!

· Registered
781 Posts
I pretty much gave up and took it to a mechanic. They just have more tools and what not. I got it there and the guy took one look at me and said, well, i don't want to take your money, because it's gonna take more than the car's worth. So. Yeah. Im gonna have him give me the details, and if -I- can't fix it, it looks like my time on BMW's is over and done with for now. Wish me luck, I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks for all the advice!
meh, a cars worth is relative to the relationship it has with it's owner...

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
meh, a cars worth is relative to the relationship it has with it's owner...

I fully agree, however, its a 14 mile walk to work and that was my wife and my only vehicle. So... If it's less expensive to just buy a new car... I'm gonna have to take that route.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So... god bless those that take care of the troops. I dropped the Bimmer off at a shop, they told me it'd be better to just scrap it. Well. I called today to see if they could tell me what was wrong... they had already started working on it. Apparently some one got word that I was a marine and decided they wanted to pay to get my car running back to factory quality or better.

I will be back and running here in a few days. HUZZAH the future sideways 318is lives!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.