BMW Werkz banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Recently received an overheat warning on my iDrive (thanks for the lack of gauges, BMW!) - pulled over immediately - towed to my buddy who is a tech at a dealer who diagnosed for me for $50 that I had a faulty electric water pump. I want to replace both the water pump and the thermostat. I can't find a water pump ANYWHERE besides the super-expensive BMW part version - I am a new owner, is this normal? I see water pumps for the prior generation (belt-driven, not electric) from third party dealers, and much cheaper. Would I have any luck looking at junkyards/salvage vehicles for this part? All I need is the pump - the thermostat I'll buy from the dealer, as it's not super expensive (~$100).

The friend is offering to get me the water pump for $300, the thermostat for $100, and fix them for $400 for a total of $800. This is a heavy chunk of change for me to swallow considering I've replaced water pumps and thermostats on other vehicles for nowhere near this amount of labor. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this is a terribly high labor charge for the work completed and if the parts are possible to find elsewhere?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts