BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin, who is a big Mercedes fan, suggested that I get a 2001 CL500 instead of an M3. He said the M3 is an amazing car, but a CL is just LIKE WOAH! He found me a deal for a 2001 CL500 with 25k miles and many options for $700 a month with a 2500 down payment. Which way should I go???? I know this is a Bimmer forum, but truthfully does a used CL stand up to a new M3??? If this CL were 2004 this would be no question :devil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Buy yourself a brand new 2004 M3 with all the options. You will be so much happier with the price, performance, looks, and re-sale value over the CL.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
stand up in what way? The only ways I can think of that the CL500 beats out an M3 is comfort, luxury, and the bling bling factor. If you enjoy driving then its a no brainer!

·
Registered
39 Posts
IA! But, I think you can do better than $700 per month on a CL500. My sister has a CL55 and it's a great car but it's also too expensive. Try to get it down to $600-650. What is the finance term on the car? I don't think that getting the M3 right now not the best idea but if it makes you happy and you can drive it safely go for it! But think this decision through, who know's if you wait a few more years you're dad might be able to get you an M5...wishful thinking.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd say go for the M3. You'll have more fun in the M3, and the CL isn't even a 55 AMG. I'd also say that BMW's quality is better, also they hold their value better than any other German car beside Porsche maybe. If the CL were an AMG 55, then that would be easy, get the CL55... In this case its a base CL500, let alone its now 3 years old. M3 will be cheaper most likely, and more pleasent to drive, get the M3.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with all of you :yup

Try to get it down to $600-650.
With my family's persian bargaining skills, that should be a breeze :D

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Ha...thats wasn't what they were saying I dont think, I think the majority said get an M3 over a mercedes. Why are you trying to escape getting an m3? You made the one forum about the 330i and said you were going to get the m3, then you made another forum about getting an M3 and now you want a mercedes? :D

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, i'm not trying to escape at all, i just wanna know whats a better car. I'm still all for the M3 :nana

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you can get it down the $580, I'd say go for it. Anything more, than go for the M3 if you are confident that you can handle it!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ParadiseHotel
If you can get it down the $580, I'd say go for it. Anything more, than go for the M3 if you are confident that you can handle it!
:clap2 I applaude that post, straight, to the point, and no critisizm...

·
Registered
345 Posts
ParadiseHotel, does your daughter really drive an 03 M3? If so can i be adopted?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, she does drive an M3. She paid $6K with a little help from my Father-In-Law(the old coot insisted that he wants his grand daughter to get the Bimmer of her choice) :banghead and we had an IS300 trade-in. I paid for the rest, but she promises that once she becomes a cardio-thoracic surgeon, she'll get me a Maybach :p !
As for you being my kid....I'll have to aks my wife and I'll get back to ya on that one.
M3rider,
You seem like a pretty reasonable kid. I'm glad that you are keeping you're options open and are taking in to account the advice many of the members have given you. I truly hope that you get a car that you like, that's safe, fits in with you're budget, and most of all that you can handle. Be thankful to your dad!
Good Luck with you're decision! BTW, when do you plan on making a final decision? Has you're mom considered an Audi...from what I hear their Quattaro(or whatever the hell thier AWD system is) is good!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ParadiseHotel
M3rider,
You seem like a pretty reasonable kid. I'm glad that you are keeping you're options open and are taking in to account the advice many of the members have given you. I truly hope that you get a car that you like, that's safe, fits in with you're budget, and most of all that you can handle. Be thankful to your dad!
Good Luck with you're decision! BTW, when do you plan on making a final decision? Has you're mom considered an Audi...from what I hear their Quattaro(or whatever the hell thier AWD system is) is good!
Thank you VERY much :thumbs, I will definately be extremely thankful to my dad no matter what car I get. I'll definately post my final decision when I make one. I told my mom about how the Audi has AWD, but a Mercedes 4Matic sound so much more desirable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
well cl500 is shit. all mercedes is shit* except the amg versions. also u only get automatik which is shit. the merc equivilent of m is amg u need that. example. clk amg 55 = m6. c 32 amg = m3, slk 55amg = M roadster(z3 body), e55 amg = m5 etc, u get teh picture.

also merc are very sturdy and heavy!!!! i beleive the cl500 is lke 5000lb. also v8 are expensive to maintain once they get old. theres nothing liek a bimemr i6. also naturally apsired. ok so the leather and nav system and possibly the power form a v8 is like woah but the handling, grip, feel, all shit.

i think u should consider the S4
i personally would go withteh m3 but hey. but a young guy like yourself, mercedes isnt for u. mercedes is a great awesome car for older people, its more mature, less sporty, less fun, very secure, very well built. i think audi s4 or m3. like i said personally the m3 but audi is another option.

http://www.yoyo.org/~andy/private/TopgearM3.wmv

*as a sports car, clk-gtr excluded

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well cl500 is shit. all mercedes is shit* except the amg versions. also u only get automatik which is shit. the merc equivilent of m is amg u need that. example. clk amg 55 = m6. c 32 amg = m3, slk 55amg = M roadster(z3 body), e55 amg = m5 etc, u get teh picture.

also merc are very sturdy and heavy!!!! i beleive the cl500 is lke 5000lb. also v8 are expensive to maintain once they get old. theres nothing liek a bimemr i6. also naturally apsired. ok so the leather and nav system and possibly the power form a v8 is like woah but the handling, grip, feel, all shit.

i think u should consider the S4
i personally would go withteh m3 but hey. but a young guy like yourself, mercedes isnt for u. mercedes is a great awesome car for older people, its more mature, less sporty, less fun, very secure, very well built. i think audi s4 or m3. like i said personally the m3 but audi is another option.

http://www.yoyo.org/~andy/private/TopgearM3.wmv

*as a sports car, clk-gtr excluded
The CL500 is not shit, its just not for people like me and you. Its more for the 27 year old highly paid guy, with a nice ass $2000/month apartment in upper eastside manhattan. However, that link to the M3 vs. S4 video is quite good. The british guy sounds so stuck up. The color is gorgeous, and SMG isn't crap at all. Like the subtitles, he says its rubbish cause he cant drive it :driving

S4 isn't really for me, i'm still going with the BMW M3, the true sports car, with enough power to satisfy my teenage insanity :rock :cheers

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Originally posted by M3Rider@Jan 3 2004, 11:59 PM
ParadiseHotel
M3rider,
Thank you VERY much :thumbs, I will definately be extremely thankful to my dad no matter what car I get. I'll definately post my final decision when I make one. I told my mom about how the Audi has AWD, but a Mercedes 4Matic sound so much more desirable.
It would be hard for you to be his kid. ParadiseHotel is 16. Right Aaron? He doesn't even have a car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
yes i agree with u m3 rider. if u notice my asterisk at the bottom(*) i said shit as far as a sports car is concerned . i also said its a an awesome secure car but not at all sporty. also that british dude whats wrong with him, thts a beatiful color. and i wouldnt call teh SMG rubbish, its nice but i think its still a toss up between the manual bc i just love the control of a manual but this does it all for u. its not automatik it jsut doesnt the cluctching for u, i only wish there were a version with 3 electronic digital pedals and digital smg. that way i can have the control of the clutch when i want and also not have to worry abou shift throws bc of the sequential. and when im feeling lazy/wanting to shift in .08 sec in a race, i can switch the mode. but of teh two i would take manual bc im not going to be in anyrace and i would rather develop my advanced clutching skillz.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
2 completly different cars....

The CL is BLING!!!!! the M3 is a sports car

1 - 20 of 21 Posts