BMW Werkz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I currently own a 2008 Lexus IS-F which I'm really sad to part with. This is probably the wrong forum to gloat about a Lexus on, but it's a phenomonal ride and incredibly fast, definitely fair game with the M3 in many aspects.

I'm a 21 year old college student and I'm about to buy my first condo in Chicago and need an additional 20,000 in liquidity(going mortgageless!) so I am trying to find a quality luxury car in the 20,000 range.

There are a couple of 2004 745i sedans in my price range and it seem like a really nice vehicle. I think the design on the 7 series is much more timeless and refined than any other BMW model. I talked with an older friend who owns a 2004 and he said it's reliable, but when the time comes for repairs, it can be a bit pricy.

From what I've been reading on these forums, there are a lot of little problems that can add up on the car. This will be my 2nd car so I'm not familiar with repair costs and such, especially on BMWs. I was a bit outraged when my Lexus dealership quoted my $1200 on my front rotor/brake pad replacements, is this the same price range on a BMW? The motor seems bullet proof, but I've always read about BMWs having electronic issues.

So my question:

Are 2004 BMW 745s costly / frequent in repair at the 50k mile range?

I have been searching the forum myself and have found some answers, but any additional input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
14,730 Posts
The ISF is quite cool; have you seen the Top Gear test between it and the ///M3? In any event, looking at the cars your interested in, always check for good and complete service records.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ISF is quite cool; have you seen the Top Gear test between it and the ///M3? In any event, looking at the cars your interested in, always check for good and complete service records.
Yup! Very few reviewers were willing to make the IS-F the winner. The M3 handles much better, rides much smoother and MOST say, looks nicer. I chose the Lexus because I hate dealerhip visits and I only had to make one maintenance visit (for new front brakes/rotors at 23k miles), and a few cheap $30 oil changes at Toyota (Lexus oil changes are 30% more for the same oil, the only difference being better free food and a higher quality free car wash)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.