BMW Werkz banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
1st year models always have "bugs" that need to be worked out.
If you really want a more stable ride, you should always wait until the 2nd or 3rd year of a new model. This goes for all manufacturers. Just check the recall notices on the fed websites.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Originally posted by Desert530@Feb 24 2004, 12:57 AM
Hey everyone,
I have owned my E60 for a month now, I could not be more satisfied. Yes problems do occur, but that doesn't mean that BMW has failed to put their ideas together. Do you think a company like BMW would release a product to the market without enough QA/QC. This is BMW we are talking about here.
Before getting my E60 I was an Audi owner, I still admire the Audi and I couldn't agree with you more about them getting on top, but Mercedes Benz I don't think so. My friend had all the problems in the wolrd in his new C-class, he bought a 2001 when it was released and 16 months later he got sick, it was spending more time at the dealership garage than on the streets. But anyway, coming from an x-audi owner I tell you i wouldn't have went for the E60 if i haven't read and tested it. Yes i would have goen for the new A6 if it was out, but the E60 is satisfying my needs for now.
Hoapfully ther will be no recalls for this model.
I agree with your statements about Mercedes product quality in recent years. The previous E-class ranked near the very bottom for interior build quality according to J. D. Power surveys. Based on the direct experience of my family members and a few close friends, I can see why. When redesigning the E-class, Mercedes paid particular attention to interior parts quality and fit-and-finish. I haven't bothered to look at a Mercedes in 5 years (i.e. visit a dealership or ride in someone's new model) so I cannot say whether or not they have succeeded, but magazine writers generally agree that quality has improved. But their styling is still so conservative that the only model that excites me is the new SL Convertible. Wow, beautiful and grand. Too bad the only desirable Mercedes for me starts at $80,000.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I haven't driven in a strong wind yet. I do know that the steering is very sensitive.
You really have to keep a very steady hand on the steering wheel because any slight movement will change the direction of the car.

I use the Active Cruise on the highway so I can concentrate on keeping the car tracking steady.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! *drool*

Is that a clear-bra they're putting on the SL55? Have you had direct experience with it and/or applied it to your E60?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
BTW, I have 18" Bridgestone Potenza tires on my ride. So far so good!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Regarding the clear bra-see my posts on the subject: here, here and and here.

More pics here and here.

My clear bra was installed at Envisage Designs in Torrance, CA by Daniel Cook and his crew. I had some custom work done and they did a very good job.

A couple of very small wrinkles at the edge of one of the pieces wrinkled so I will have to take it in to have it fixed/replaced. There are a three very small yellow stains from bird poop on the hood/front bumper that I have to see if I can get out by rubbing it out or something. I'm going to ask about replacing those pieces as well.

Other than that I have the most scratch prone areas protected so I won't have to deal with pits and dings. We'll see how it works out in the long run. B)

41 - 47 of 47 Posts