BMW Werkz banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I know and understand about the first year model issue. But, I have owned BMWs' since 1989 when I got first 325i. I have owned many first year BMWs' without any issues whatsoever. 4 cyl. Z3 first year model, no problems. 6 cyl. Z3, first year model, no problems. 330ci, first year model, no problems. 325i (previous 323 model), first year model, no problems.

So of course, I didn't think twice about getting the E60.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I hope they are able to find a solution reasonably soon!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hey Cosmos! I've been pretty busy, but long time no see. Thanks for your kind words. I just speak the truth and what I've seen and heard. No doubt that BMW does have some great cars but they've lately been putting the cart before the horse.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
ExTech,
Hehehe...I just noticed your signature/banner..."your bimmer shouldn't be your only investment". That is so cool for an advertisement or slogan for a mortgage company, especially on a BMW forums board! :D :clap2 :thumbs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just got back from BMW. This is the verdict. A BMW Field Service Engineer (they travel all over taking care of issues) test drove my vehicle with me. He inmediately experienced what I was talking about. Then we drove an exact model as mine. The only difference mine was equipped with Continental tires, this one had GoodYear Eagles. You could still feel the wind on the other vehicle. The ride was much softer and nicer on this one. BMW switched rims and tires. After driving mine with the Goodyear tires, the ride was similar from what was experienced on that second vehicle.

What I was told is that it seems that BMW is aware of the wind issue. The engineer said he had not noticed it until brought to his attention a while back. Of course most of the driving on the New 5 he has done was on the 545. Another thing he did, was that as soon as we got on the highway, he hit the window buttons thinking that maybe they were open. They were not. Point No.2 The wind noise inside the vehicle at highway speeds was VERY noticeable, on all the cars we drove.

So. This model really IS affected by the wind. BMW IS AWARE OF THIS!!!
I can say the ride is much better with the Goodyear tires, but it still gets beat up by the wind. I have received posting from other users like this "the latest issue of Car & Driver was not pleased with the '04 530i. They also mentioned that their car did not feel stable in crosswinds. Their car was equipped with the Sports Package (which they commented on the "too quick" ratio at low speeds)."

I'm sorry, but as I said before, the ride on my 2003 E39 is by far superior than my 2004 E60. :cry

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news.
So what are they gonna do about it for you?
Are you gonna keep the car, return it, or...???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wish I knew what my options are (legally) if any. Honestly, I would like to get rid of this vehicle and get another BMW model. :dunno

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It makes me wonder...how can BMW launch a new model with issues with wind-noise and aerodynamics? I personally think there is no excuse for that! Did they actually miss that in the testings, what about quality control? I could understand if it was some kind of fault that happens over time. But we are talking about the basics here, you can't miss that in test drives! I mean, if a consumer could notice that fault, what were the experts doing then??? I am just shocked by BMW's standards lately.

I hope it's really just something that is too complicated for me to understand,
and that BMW is not slacking as bad as they seem to me! :dunno

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I know. Someone on another board alerted me on an article from the latest issue of Car and Driver.

From Car and Driver's review on the 2004 530i Titled "You can't miss the new 5-series. (We just wish we didn't miss the old one so much.)"

Car and Driver's Quote "On a gusty highway drive, though, 20-mph crosswinds had their way with the 530i more than we expected."

You can find this article at http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...3&page_number=1

·
Registered
74 Posts
:banghead

How can the engineer at BMW did not pickup those wind noise. Can’t believe after spend that much $$ to buy a car.

I drive from Atlanta to Florida lease once a month.. on hight speed wind noise dirve me crazy on my 330CI, I switch to 528i very nice.

Dude! return the car if you can, you got a choose now.. if you wait too long will be too late.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I had a 1983 henna red 320is with black interior and Recaro seats for about 10 years and had a great time with it. Sold it and bought a Honda Accord for reliability purposes while attending school.

About 4 weeks ago I test drove a 330ia, 525ia,and a 530ia. The 330ia was quick little car but too stiff riding for comfort, the 525 a tad underpowered and the 7 series wasn’t an option so I chose a Titanium Silver 530ia with light grey leather interior with darkwood, premium, sport & prem. sound packages, parking distance control (PDC), active cruise, xenon adaptive headlights and the fold down rear seats. I took delivery on 12/12.

It's been in the shop twice to adjust the hood latch (they put small 3 scratches on the hood and scuffed the light grey leather door panel-they'll be working on those next week), and once to replace the passenger air bag sensor. The latest problem is happening only when started cold and sounds like something rattling in the front of the motor. Belt lube was applied the first time it was looked at but the sound came back after a couple of days. It will be in the shop next Monday and kept overnight because the problem is only heard when cold starting.

Other than that it drives and handles superbly (especially in the sport mode) in all types of weather (wind, rain, heat- no snow). Its been up to 85mph (I was told to keep it under 100 and not use the active cruise for the first 500 miles). The active steering/sport suspension, PDC, prem. sound are abolutely first rate and make driving a real pleasure. The active roll stabilization and 18" tires allow you to essentially make a right turn at 80mph with feeling a minor amount of body lean. At lower speeds it's absolutely rock solid. For such a "big" car as has been commented on previously, it drives (and stops) like a car half its size

The iDrive is easy to use and makes setting your driving system to your specs very smooth. You can detail the setup for many, many items and make the car work the way you want it to. I haven't experienced the memory seat problem but will be testing it further.

Also applied to the car was the "clear bra" by Envisage Design Labs on the front and rear bumpers, hood, rocker panels, front splash guards, and other smaller scratch prone areas (door cups, around the trunk keyhole, door edges). Daniel was great to work with.

Oh, by the way, at 80mph in the regular drive mode it gets over 35 miles to the gallon.

This is my first post so if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a '04 530i about 1.5 weeks ago. The first day owning it I experienced a static sound across the audio system that would not go away until the next time I drove it. This has sinced happened 3 times. Next, my key would not work remotely when I tried to use it after leaving work. Several times this has happened.
I called my BMW dealership and took it in. They told me there is a "bulletin" on the audio issue and the corporate technicians are "working on the issue". What ever that means.
They told me they could not replicate the key issue and that the car would not give them any error codes. They reset my key code and said it was probably user error. ??? Um, I think I know how to work a remote key.
Since receiving my car back yesterday I have experienced the key issue 2 more times. I have to manually unlock the door or trunk when the issue occurs.
Has anyone else experienced these problems? I think I am going to go into BMW and raise hell and demand they give me a new car or my money back.
This issue is very unfortunate because I love the car. Love the active steering at low speeds. That's what the active steering is designed for...to give a true steering ration at low speeds so the driver doesn't have to swing the wheel around 2 revolutions to make a u-turn. I recommend people give the steering a little time to adjust. After the brain is re-trained the steering should seem wonderful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Originally posted by beachluke@Jan 8 2004, 04:09 AM
The first day owning it I experienced a static sound across the audio system that would not go away until the next time I drove it. This has sinced happened 3 times.
I've had the same issue since last November. Still waiting on BMW for a "fix". First they told me it was a bad phone unit, and that it was backordered. Now they are telling it is a software upgrade and they are "working" on it...

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
03&04Owner, at least the BMW engineer was able to see the same problem occur. But as long as these cars have been out, I'm suprised they haven't already come up with a fix by now. (ther than different wheels and tires). You would think that a different dampening in the shocks or a different spring setup would help, if not fix this problem. I wonder if there are any owners out there who have already gone to aftermarket spring/shock setups and if they are still experienceing these problems after the switch. :dunno

·
Registered
12 Posts
*Digs up old thread* :haha

We are currently deciding between a 2003 540i (M Sports Pkg, Steptronic) and a 2004 530i. Any opinions and/or things we should ask about before buying.

(A little story about the local Mercedes dealership: My father was going to buy a 2001~2002 Mercedes and when he walked into the dealership (with my mother, who goes car shopping with thier wife if they are not serious?) and the people there told him to go away and just gave him a brouchure. So they went to the BMW dealership and never looked back.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
paco,

The arrogance of the mercedes dealership here is the reason we are driving bmw today. We went into the dealership in the late 80's, the salespeople saw us, told us they would be right with us, but 30 minutes later, no one had spoken to us. we went to one of the bmw dealerships, bought a 1988 528, then a couple of months later, bought a 325 and we've never looked back. We're on our third set of a 5 and a 3.

triggo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, the people at the BMW dealership basically said that they close when the last customer leaves (after normal closing hours of course). For my '89 300SE I've found a nice, small dealership that deals with and repairs the older models mainly. The people there are very polite and do excellent work.

Back to the main question:
2003 540i w/ Sports Pkg, Steptronic, 12k mi
or
2004 530i w/ Premium sound & no sports pkg.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The best answer depends on many factors, not just the few attributes you listed, and ultimately you will have to choose for yourself.
  • 2003 vs 2004
  • 540i vs 530i
  • old style vs new style (your preference)
  • 12k miles vs no miles (how comfortable are you with 12k miles?)
  • second hand vs new (how comfortable are you with used cars?)
  • sports package vs premium sound (how important is sports package vs sound?)
  • steptronic vs ?? (do you want the steptronic on the 530?)
  • price of 540i used vs price of 530i new (probably plenty of room on used 540i for negotiating price)
  • other options already on 540i vs other options already on 530i
You see, there's no way I can answer this for you in a way that will fully satisfy your needs, wants, and budget. The E39 is mature and has "all the bugs worked out" -- or at least 99.9% of them. The E60 has relatively little field-history and probably some growing pains.

Test drive them both on city roads and on the freeway, preferably under calm and windy conditions. You have the option to lease a 530i for a couple of years if you're concerned about bugs in the new model. If you really like the power, price, and style of the 2003 540i, then that's your car.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
good answer! :thumbs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone,
I have owned my E60 for a month now, I could not be more satisfied. Yes problems do occur, but that doesn't mean that BMW has failed to put their ideas together. Do you think a company like BMW would release a product to the market without enough QA/QC. This is BMW we are talking about here.
Before getting my E60 I was an Audi owner, I still admire the Audi and I couldn't agree with you more about them getting on top, but Mercedes Benz I don't think so. My friend had all the problems in the wolrd in his new C-class, he bought a 2001 when it was released and 16 months later he got sick, it was spending more time at the dealership garage than on the streets. But anyway, coming from an x-audi owner I tell you i wouldn't have went for the E60 if i haven't read and tested it. Yes i would have goen for the new A6 if it was out, but the E60 is satisfying my needs for now.
Hoapfully ther will be no recalls for this model.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts