BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have two questions to hopefully someone who knows what thier talking about on a 1987 325i: 1) when i start the car up and its just idleing with the clutch in the rpm get low like 500 the jumps to like 1000 it does that like 5 times taking around 20 seconds in all, and then finally settles to around 800. 2) the shift knob sometimes comes off when shifting which is fix by a quick tap to the top to settle it back in place, but when i look at the bottom of the shift knob it looks like a quater of the knob is missing (on the inside only).
is there a quick way to fix these? are they normal? should i replace somthing? :idea2 thanx for your help

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by alanh@Sep 22 2003, 12:50 AM
hi, i have two questions to hopefully someone who knows what thier talking about on a 1987 325i: 1) when i start the car up and its just idleing with the clutch in the rpm get low like 500 the jumps to like 1000 it does that like 5 times taking around 20 seconds in all, and then finally settles to around 800. 2) the shift knob sometimes comes off when shifting which is fix by a quick tap to the top to settle it back in place, but when i look at the bottom of the shift knob it looks like a quater of the knob is missing (on the inside only).
is there a quick way to fix these? are they normal? should i replace somthing? :idea2 thanx for your help
how old is the clutch? its really old..i think it would time to replace it..but please get some other opinions about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like the knob is an easy enough fix. You can either opt to put some kind of glue/epoxy in the old one, or simply buy a new one and replace it.

Triggrhaapi, where is the cold start idle circuit located??? (might want to check that on my car, too)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
the idle problem cuold be due to a dirty icv. you can get a brand new bmw shift knob for $14 which would solve that problem

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the clutch i think is only about a year old but i don't see what that has to do with it do you think it might be patially engaging?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts