BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 328i that I bought a few months ago.
I took it to the dealer for an optional oil change and
supplied my own oil (Castrol Syntec 5W30). The owners
manual calls for approx. 6.5L or 7 qts of oil. I took in
6 litres thinking I would be topping off at home.
When I took it home, the dipstick showed the oil level
slightly past the upper notch. Does anyone know the
exact oil capacity? I watched the mechanic put only
the 6 litres in.

Joe G.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
Welcome Moto! B)

you should always put less oil in than the capacity because not all the oil comes out when you drain it. for instance my car has a 4.3qt capacity but i only need about 3qts for a complete oil change. B)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,421 Posts
Welcome to the forums moto!! :thumbs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Originally posted by MrM3@Jul 5 2003, 09:33 AM
Welcome Moto! B)

you should always put less oil in than the capacity because not all the oil comes out when you drain it. for instance my car has a 4.3qt capacity but i only need about 3qts for a complete oil change. B)
That really doesn't sound good. I've never had a car that didn't take the appropriate amount within .25 of a qt. 1.3qt is a big amount to not come out. =\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,708 Posts
Originally posted by moto@Jul 4 2003, 11:10 PM
I have a 2000 328i that I bought a few months ago.
I took it to the dealer for an optional oil change and
supplied my own oil (Castrol Syntec 5W30). The owners
manual calls for approx. 6.5L or 7 qts of oil. I took in
6 litres thinking I would be topping off at home.
When I took it home, the dipstick showed the oil level
slightly past the upper notch. Does anyone know the
exact oil capacity? I watched the mechanic put only
the 6 litres in.

Joe G.
Usually anywhere from 6-7 qts. you may have to add just a little bit later...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
It also depends on if the oil filter has been replaced as well. The filter holds about half a quart of oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Originally posted by GreenDragon@Jul 6 2003, 02:25 AM
It also depends on if the oil filter has been replaced as well. The filter holds about half a quart of oil.
bingo.....if i were you i'd give him a cookie :D
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top