BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an extremely clean 1997 BMW E36 318i for my wife to use as a commuter to her nursing job in San Francisco from our little waterfront home about 6 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge.
I have owned MANY cars over the years, and must say I am very impressed with the sturdy feel of the little 4 cylinder sedan and its 5 speed w/overdrive.
Can anyone tell me what kind of mileage we might expect with a moderately light commuter foot?
Haven't figured out the Climate control system yet or the alarm. Just ordered a second remote keyless xmitter on eBay.

My wife is from New Zealand and I would love to get some nice sheepskin seat covers to protect the prefect condition light tan seats (I truly don't know how the previous owner did it) and don't know if they are leather or not.
How do I tell?
Any suggestions or caveats for good sheepskins for it?
The paint is deep blue and also perfect.

Is it worth getting a wind deflector for the sunroof?
I had one on a big MBZ sedan years ago and it helped a lot. But this one seems fairly quiet on initial impression.

We bought it from a wonderful shop run by a nice couple in San Rafael,CA called Collie Autoworks. We are thrilled to have bought the mechanics with the car, as they have been servicing my old Benz and we love them to death. Honest, competent, and nice.

I was pleasantly surprised at how little the 97 318i s are worth.
Might consider getting a clean similar convertible for summer.

I currently also drive a 1960 Mercedes Benz 180Db (W120) Ponton which I converted to run bio-diesel, and have a project sitting in the box of a German made kit to convert it to SVO straight vegetable oil (new or recycled).

I have a Fiat Abarth Monomille aluminum bodied project car with a fresh enging to go in it. Just needs a lot of body restoration and reassembly, if anyone knows a good mechanic in the Western States for such a project.

Looks like a fun forum!
Thanks for being here as we learn about our new car.

Bob and Kate Huber

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
Welcome :)

Delmarco posted the mileage he used to get on city/hwy with his 318i automatic. I don't remember exact figures, but I wouldn't be surprised with mid 20's in the city and low 30's on the highway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For a sunroof? Naw, I don't think I would go with a wind deflector for a sunroof. But who knows. Usually they are used on convertibles. You could always check on windscreenreview.net or some other windscreen review site and see if they have them. Congrats on your purchase!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.