BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum. So Hello all. I recently bought a used 1999 BMW 528i.I'm first time Bimmer owner, and this car is my 3rd vehicle. It has 69k miles on it. I've been experiencing a few problems with it lately that are concerning me. I'm going to have it hooked up to a diagnostic comp. I just wanted to get an idea of what it may be. When I press on the gas pedal (doesn't happen all the time) the rpm's go up as normal but it doesn't accelerate as normal. Then it will speed up on it's own after a few seconds. It also has been dying at stoplights. The car doesn't shut down, it just doesn't respond when I press on the gas pedal. I do know that the gas cap sensor isn't working. No hazard lights come on. Tranny isn't missing any gears....to say the least I'm a little perplexed??? any suggestion would be fantastic..

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
Is it automatic or manual? The revs going up, yet no acceleration is either a slipping transmission (if automatic), or a slipping clutch (if manual).

As for dying at stoplights ... shouldn't be related, but I think that problem will be fairly easy to figure out once they hook it up to diagnostic equipment.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an automatic. I was hoping it wouldn't be the tranny.. I've ran it through all the gears.. and there's no hesitation when going into the gears. Man... *sighs* The tranny slipping is what I was afraid of..

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
It could also turn out to be something to do with the electronics related to the shifter, but honestly I'd probably start budgeting for a new transmission.

My dad had a 525i with the same issue ... you'd put the foot down, it would rev its head off, then slam into gear and go. We ended up selling it at an auction for next to nothing. :(

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See it's not slamming into gear.. it's gradually speeds up.. it seems like it's not getting enough fire... My Camaro I had when I was teenager had tranny problems.. the rpm's would go up and it would slam into gear.. With my bimmer i press on the gas (even if my foot is on the floor) only goes like 20 miles per hr.. then it gradually speeds up.. My b/f thinks it maybe some sort of sensor.. regardless I need to get it checked out.. I hope I don't have to sell it.. I've only had it for 2 months and now I'm officially Bimmer spoiled.. The guy I bought it from was a mechanic.. he let me put it up on the lift and look under neath of it and everything.. The tranny was just replaced about 2 yrs. ago.. It's had 2 owners and on average was only drove about 6,000 miles per yr..

· Registered
51 Posts
I recently had a similar problem. not stalling but idleing very rough then on accelaration seemed to flatten out. Ended up being a vac. leak at the crankcase vent valve, Replaced and solved my problems. Mine is a 1998 528 with I6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.