BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just recently got my 1999 328i. It drives awesome and has TONS of power. However, my engine makes a noise that sounds like two pieces of metal rubbing each other at all rpm. This noise is very regular. Like I say - it is strong and all, and shows no other signs of trouble but continously makes that noise. It is a bit louder when cold. I have 55k on this engine.

My specific questions are: IF YOU KNOW WHAT IT MIGHT BE:
1) Can I just keep on driving it and I should be OK?
2) Should I take immediate action to correct it?

I used to have a 1993 Nissan Altima which made exact same noise when cold at low rpm only - I put on about 15k (with this noise) miles on it and it never showed sign of additional trouble. Please, help!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Hmmmmm sounds like a bad pulley..... Get it fixed now otherwise later your belts gonna go along with the rest of the engine... Don't be cheap a pulley is only $50 and the belt cost me $28

1) Can I just keep on driving it and I should be OK?
Sure you can. But if the pulley fails, the belt goes with it, your alternator goes out, and the car overheats... Basically what you could have fixed for $100+ will turn into a $1000+ problem (Yes grab your ankles and pull out the vaseline.... well actually no vaseline... nevermind)...

2) Should I take immediate action to correct it?
It's up to you.... It just so happenned my mechanic heard it (bad pulley) from a mile away and I got lucky... If this happenned later down the line I would be picking up E46 parts off of the freeway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input.... I get the feeling the noise is actually coming from the inside of the engine, more like valve cover area... ? Is that possible?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
it may be camshaft. i have that noise in my 93 altima as well when it is cold. not sure if the BMW uses the same deal

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Oh yeah may also be improper tension on the belt that may have caused a shot pulley.... I dunno I'm no expert.... But that's what happenned to me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
sounds like several possibilities. I'd check the waterpump and both belt tensioner pulleys. These are most common.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Allright... what if it is a water pump or a pulley? How do I actually check on this? The area between the pulleys and the radiator is so crammed there is no way to stick a finger in there! I have no leaks or anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts