BMW Werkz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and thanks in advance for help. I am a new member and hope to help in the future as I get to know my BMW and Buy another along the way. My first purchase is a project car it is a 1995 540i it has M badging but I do not think it is as it doesnt have the mirrors and other things the M would anyhow. it drives out great and engine is super strong but at about 45MPH it shakes badly if I give it gas it quits shaking and runs smooth up to and over 100mph if I slow down immediatley it will again quit shaking. It shakes from 45 to 50 mph then fine above and below. I have heard it is steering linkage. Also the other major prob is..It is an automatic and below the cover plate of gear area there is a small cylender shaped gold colored part that when you start car a piece comes out and engages the shifter in order to lock in. the button works to allow me to shift but the cylender stops me from shifting into drive. if I use a screw driver or such I can shift into gear and drive fine but if I move it out of drive again same problem. if I unplug the cylnder it will shift into drive but then only run in high gear does anyone know what this part is approx cost and also what the shake is and what I need to do. I did not get the manual with the car :-( so nothing is easy to look up!! anyhow I look forward to getting this car back on the road and in working order with everyones help!! Kinda a BMW community project!! lol... I am 35 have 5 children and want to have my boys help me make it go again. not sure of how much I can do myself and how much I will be forced to send to shop but hope I can do much with my sons. I think I am ok on what I got car for...bought it for 1200.00 and like I said it runs great other then above problems and two windows not working but they are least of concern right now.. Thanks for all your help!!! regards, gerald, gavin, and blake!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shakes`

This is what I thought to. the guy I bought it from stated he took it into BMW and they told him Linkage...I cant see why he would tell me it was a more expensive repair if in fact it was a cheap fix....anyother ideas? how bout the shifting cellanoid? thanks for any help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.