BMW Werkz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i not sure if this has been answered yet but here it goes

i have a 1994 320i obd1 auto and i think its time for my head to change im burning oil and im hearing what sounds like a broken lifter coming from the cylinder head.

now finding a used 320i cylinder head is pretty hard so i was thinking can i put a 325 head on it instead.

since all my engine components are the same as then 325 i shouldnt really have a problem right?

also what will happen if i were to swap the heads i would lose torque and gain hp correct?

another thing is right now my fuel consumption is wack im getting maybe 400 km per tank if im lucky and dont drive hard. i recently changed all 6 spark plugs and put in a new cone filter. any ideas why its drinking gas?

thanks in advance for the help ladies and gents.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi hamy, I really don't think this would work. I feel the bore diameter of your 2.0lt engine would be smaller than that of a 2.5lt engine. If that's the case, the new head gasket wouldn't sit properly on your engine block. Also water and oil passages may not allign. It would be an expensive experiment. If you've taken off the top cylinder of your engine, get the gasket of the 325 and place on it to confirm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi hamy, I really don't think this would work. I feel the bore diameter of your 2.0lt engine would be smaller than that of a 2.5lt engine. If that's the case, the new head gasket wouldn't sit properly on your engine block. Also water and oil passages may not allign. It would be an expensive experiment. If you've taken off the top cylinder of your engine, get the gasket of the 325 and place on it to confirm.
thanks for the reply nnamdi, ya i thought so too but i read somewhere on one of these forums that the 320 and the 325 have the same block just different heads so i wasnt sure, as for the head gaskets i asked the dealer for a 320 head gasket and they didnt have so then i asked for a 325 head gasket and they said its the same gaskets :conf but i agree that the water and oil might not line up. thanks again for the help :rule .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts