BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a 1990 BMW 7 series sedan for $3700.00. The car has 220,000 on it's odometer. The engine was replaced 3 years ago at a BMW Dealership. The new engine has 44,000 miles on it. The Car has had new rotors, radiator and the Air Conditioning system switched over to the new RJ system instead of Freon. The car drives great and has very little rust. I am thinking about purchasing this for my 16 year old daughter. What will the annual Service and Maintenance costs be for this car? I have never owned a BMW. Is it worth it for her 1st car?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, I guess, w/o looking at it or driven it..imo that's an awfully large ride for your daughter to start out on, trying to manuver that baby won't be easy for her..or perhaps it will..dunno..

·
Registered
569 Posts
Originally posted by swomper005@Sep 8 2003, 11:50 AM
I have the chance to buy a 1990 BMW 7 series sedan for $3700.00. The car has 220,000 on it's odometer. The engine was replaced 3 years ago at a BMW Dealership. The new engine has 44,000 miles on it. The Car has had new rotors, radiator and the Air Conditioning system switched over to the new RJ system instead of Freon. The car drives great and has very little rust. I am thinking about purchasing this for my 16 year old daughter. What will the annual Service and Maintenance costs be for this car? I have never owned a BMW. Is it worth it for her 1st car?
I am not in any way trying to start a flame war here, but I would suggest for $3700, buying your daughter a nice used Honda. I know from experience, I have owned 2 Honda's and 1 Acura and their maintenance and reliability are excellent. Especially for her first car, I think the 7 series would just be too big for her, and you can find a nice Civic, or Accord, or even and Integra with fairly low miles in that price range EASY that will be very reliable and the maintenance is low on them too! But if you feel the need for her to have a BMW, then by all means get it, it sounds like a good deal...I would take it to a specialized, certified BMW mechanic and let him check everything out on the car. BMW's are great cars but I stress again, for a first car I would seriously consider the Honda idea! Hope I helped you some!

David

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by Ski@Sep 8 2003, 01:54 PM
Sounds like a good deal, I guess, w/o looking at it or driven it..imo that's an awfully large ride for your daughter to start out on, trying to manuver that baby won't be easy for her..or perhaps it will..dunno..
i agree with ski. plus with that many miles you never know what can go wrong, not that they arent reliable, but sometimes the sellers 'forget' to mention some important details.

i'd say get her a E30 eta (3series 84-88). they have extremely reliable well built engines(practically bullet proof), very nimble and manuverable, get great gas mileage, and have a 4500rpm redline to keep her out of trouble. its a great economy car with a good amount of low end tq for daily driving.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I think the 7er would make a pretty good 1st car, speaking from a 16 y/o perspective. And as the youngist person in the family, i have seen my sister go to college , and a big car can be an advantage. Folding rear seats are very useful, i dont know if the 7 has those. I think if she likes it and you ahve no problem with maintainence you should go for it because you can carry lots of stuff come college time...

but i would want something more nimble personally, and just rent a u-haul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts