BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a 1990 325i or iX. The iX I am looking at has 170,000 miles on it. The owner claims oil changes every 3k miles. Is this too many miles for a 325iX??? I don't want to get a car and have lots of problems with it in the first couple of years.

Also, there is a 325i with 130,000 miles on it but it has some mechanical issues that I would have to get fixed.

How many miles is too much???

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Welcome iamclarke B)

170k miles wouldnt be bad if the car was really maintained well, you have to consider the reason the guy's selling it cause it may be because he's running into alot of mechanical issues and wants out. what kind of problems is the 325i with 130k having? if i were you i'd keep looking for a good 325i with under 150k. also with such high miles you'd be much better off getting a manual transmission.

·
Registered
108 Posts
my car just turned 170 this weekend :thumbs

first question you have to ask yourself about "to 'i' or 'iX" is "where do you live & what kinda weather do you drive in?"

if you live in some serious snow, get the iX... if not, get the 'i' unless you like UNDERsteer :thumbsdown

it doesn't understeer as much as a fwd car obviously, but i'll tell ya.. i live in New England & would STILL rather have my RWD e30 than an all time 4wd e30, but that's just my personal preference... i love oversteer :devil

oh.. and friends dont let friends buy e30's w/ a slushbox B) (no automatics for me!!! :D )

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by OreoGaborio@Jun 24 2003, 07:14 PM
my car just turned 170 this weekend :thumbs

first question you have to ask yourself about "to 'i' or 'iX" is "where do you live & what kinda weather do you drive in?"

if you live in some serious snow, get the iX... if not, get the 'i' unless you like UNDERsteer :thumbsdown

it doesn't understeer as much as a fwd car obviously, but i'll tell ya.. i live in New England & would STILL rather have my RWD e30 than an all time 4wd e30, but that's just my personal preference... i love oversteer :devil

oh.. and friends dont let friends buy e30's w/ a slushbox B) (no automatics for me!!! :D )
yeah what oreo said :p if you really think that AWD will be put to good use considering the winter conditions where you live, then thats why bmw made them, otherwise you'll probably be better off with the 325i

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why would you need awd. This year we got like 3' of snow on pres weekend, I still drove my 325i to work the next day, who cares if the snow was up to the grill. It's an awesome vehicle. I trust it more in bad weather than the 96 328is I've got.

170k would be what I passed 15k ago. I don't believe that miles are an actual issue for these vehicles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts