BMW Werkz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's a good link for a DIY to replace all the brake pads. I'm a newbie workin' on BMW's. My wife's warranty expired and I need to learn the ropes. Thanks, folks.

-Chris:help

·
Registered
54 Posts
one other tip to add for any brake job...make sure you clean the rotors with brake cleaner before you put everything back together. Some rotors will come with a fine layer of oil or protective goop on them, or may be dirty and dusty. Clean and this crap off the rotors before you go bed the new pads in!

·
Registered
272 Posts
you better hope that that there isn't any lock tite on the caliper carriage rear bolts. He totally skipped over the step of removing the caliper carriage. He oversimplified it. If you cannot get the caliper carriage off, you cannot remove the old rotor. The guy I had to call had to use a dewalt to get them off. I learned the hard way. Have power tools on hand just in case. Maybe the e34 is different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you better hope that that there isn't any lock tite on the caliper carriage rear bolts. He totally skipped over the step of removing the caliper carriage. He oversimplified it. If you cannot get the caliper carriage off, you cannot remove the old rotor. The guy I had to call had to use a dewalt to get them off. I learned the hard way. Have power tools on hand just in case. Maybe the e34 is different.
I'm pretty well tooled. Drill press, compressor, sandblaster, etc. I race a spitfire and have an S2000, as well. Just don't want to run into any surprises I haven't been forewarned about since my BMW wrench time is about ZERO!

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
Our sponsor, FCPGroton.com has great prices and quality products.

Other common suspects: pelican parts, bavarian autosports.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got a great deal from bimmerzone.com. I purchased balo rotors for $36 each and the akebono ceramic pads for about $55. The sensor is $6. everything was $136 with free shipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts