BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
So most guys buy their girlfriends jewlery or flowers for anniversaries, I bought mine taillights. :) They are Depo Gunmetals. Seen here: http://www.matrixracing.com/BI7775Details.htm
Trouble is, they don't work correctly. When activated, only one turn signal bulb blinks and it does so very fast. If I remove the backup bulb and reseat one of the turn signal bulbs, the turn signals work correctly... But now there is no backup lamp! I took apart the stock lights, and the only difference, connection wise, it the backup bulb is wired in reverse (no pun intended). Also, the stock ones connect with metal traces and the altezzas connect with wires. Problem is the same on both sides. I was just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience with any other taillights. I'm not sure is matrix will be much help. If not, I won't buy from there again. I know it's my own fault going with a PCP.com type company so there is no need to tell me so. If you have advice, I will welcome it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
yeah man, should have gotten her a bimmer, or somethign other than them ugly pontiacs... i think someone is selling their old bimmer for like 995, buy that!

and you can be like in the Price is Right... ---- ITS AN OLD CAR!!!!!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I would've stuck with jewelry. . . I've never heard of anyone getting laid for altezzas

Btw if it blinks really fast that means that a bulb or a wire is out and it's bypassing that area of resistance. Someone else could probably explain that better than I can.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jap altezza's were her request not mine. they don't look too bad on the GA. no way i would ever bolt such a thing to a BMW. yes you do get laid for them though. she could not handle RWD and I would have to get her an auto...

I'll troubleshoot them some more this weekend. have yet to hear from matrixracing...

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
Wait what? Wires? What huh? Sorry I dont quite understand.

Are you using the same bulbs you had before? Did they give you extra wires or something? Extra bulbs?

I wont critisize you about their styling, other bmw members have already done so for me.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stock taillights have solid-state type metal traces from the connector to each bulb, whereas the 'tezzas have a wiring harness supplied with them. The connector that came with the taillights mates to the factory connector. I have used old and new bulbs supplied with the kit. No bad bulbs, and they all happen to be the same brank and model ect.

Today I got out my 12V power supply and manually powered each set of bulbs. I just clipped an alligator clip to ground, and probed each terminal with +12V. All work this way: Back-up, turns, hi and lo (running) brake lights. I seem to have misplaced my Fluke meter, so I'm not sure of all the exact resistances.

poo...

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts