BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a great deal on an 04 525i, is was simply supposed to be cheaper to fix than my 02 325xi, or so I thought. Its really hard to start and it kind of spits and sputters then it comes to life and more or less idles really smooth. But it hiccups once and awhile and will stutter even at cruising, no accelleration or braking. And has died as a standstill too. To date (I've had it not quite 2 weeks) I've replaced the battery (it had one that looked to be out of a sub-compact car in it) plugs, coils (all 6 ouch) all the air filters (would really like to know how to reset the service on the cabin filter), resealed the rear window (I have never seen one with the seal completely dry rotted away) I have replacement o2 sensors coming alnog with the stupid IBS neg cable and the ABS positive cable (the plug is completely missing from mine. Here is is what I know is still wrong with it.
Lower blower motor is half missing
Stereo has no reception, at all

Code scan and IDrive
Misfire cyl. 2 and 5. (replaced plugs no further code)
I have codes for o2 bank 2 stuck rich, o2 bank 1 too lean, CAT system is below threshold (assuming thats related to the o2 issues)
DISM electrical malfunction (I forgot to plug it back in once time while trouble shooting) I can hear it bussing for a minute or two every time i even open the hood. I think
Idrive says active steering control but I have no code for that, not reading binary ATM my code reader doesnt display the raw code data.
Central pillar electrical malfunction
micro-filter needs changing (changed it need to reset light)
flat tire (solved reset TPM) but on tire looks like it was curb checked at around 40 mph but on the inside of the wheel)

All module read shows around 23 things wrong, mostly electrical and interrelated so I wont dig into that. But I need to get this car steady on the road as a reliably drive-able vehicle. I am trying to avoid taking it to the BMW dealership here locally or even really any of the import specialty shops simply because funding is an issue. Yes I know why buy a BMW then? Simple. Its a BMW.

Any help, advice or "You should start here" would be great
Oh last question the radio antenna does it run throught the rear window? and if so does it by any chance use the little silver strip around the window? cause mines broken and falling out with the old seal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Given I was told when I bought it they had replaced the fuel pump and the gas gauge now doesn't work that was at the top of the list but I have no repair manual and cannot find one locally, online doesn't really work for me I kinda need the tangible manual with real pages. Is there a way to test the fuel pump and sending unit in place with a meter? And lastly what should the pressure be at the rails?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cars need three things: air, fuel, and spark. Start with the fuel system.

Go to bentleypublishers.com to find a service manual for your car.

There's no need to take it to a dealer for a vehicle that old. You can visit bimrs.org to find an independent certified BMW mechanic. Independent certified mechanics can do everything a dealer can do except rape you on the labor charges.

If your fuel gauge isn't working, the people who installed your fuel pump might have broken the fuel sender. You need to verify the correct fuel pressure. You will need a voltmeter and a fuel pressure gauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The voltage test was a new one, wasn't aware they could be checked. But this raises two questions what's the voltage supposed to be and as asked before what's the pressure supposed to be at the rails. And we have several certified mechanics that specialize in euro imports but since I'm no stranger to a wrench and simply cost I'm doing this myself. I just wasn't aware finding a repair manual under 60-100 bucks was going to be a thing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts