BMW Werkz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 325i with a malfunctioning Steptronic in cold weather. When the car is cold in the morning and is placed in drive, there is very significant slippage in the transmission. Has anyone else had the same problem? How do I address this problem?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's not the transmission. It's the new clutchpacks they've been putting in the 2004's. They're now using a 5 puck clutchpack versus the 7 puck clutch packs they've used in previous years. The 5 puck pack engages slower which causes the delay in gear engagement. The 5 puck pack isn't as powerful as the 7 puck. Consult your service department. This issue is known by BMW and is slowly being rectified. I'm not sure what the ultimate result is gonna be but they replaced one for a customer of mine with the old setup. It's probably on a case by case basis. :idea2

·
Registered
434 Posts
HUH? :yezfunny

Actually, the 03 GM transmissions used by BMW have "unfavorable tolerances of C1 clutch housing causing internal trans pressure leak after extended parking". So, the fluid drains out after sitting, and when you put it in driver, it takes a while to build pressure and engage.

BMW is replacing these transmissions. Make an appointment with the dealer, so you can get on the list for a new transmission....
we are doing a LOT of them, and new trannys may be slow in coming.

There is a service bulletin for this. The symptoms are a delay in transmission engagement to drive, on cold start.

Applies to:

E46 with GM5 9/02-12/03 or 3/03-12/03

depending on the model car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts