BMW Werkz banner

Z3 - subwoofer

15K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MiguelACA 
#1 ·
I just recently blew out my subwoofer on my '01 Z3 Convertible.

Does anyone have any advice where I can go to repair or replace?
Can anyone recommend a shop in the Marina del Rey / Santa Monica, CA area?

Also, I need a recommendation for custom leather work too.
The blue leather on my dash above the airbag is ripped and needs to be removed.

Lastly, my left passenger window squeaks when it rolls up/down. Anyone know of any places to get this fixed? Should I just contact an auto glass company in the area? Any recommendations?

Thanks! I feel like I have the lemon of all z3s!!!

#2 ·
you don't want a BMW replacement. you're talking $200-$300 minimum. mine blew out also and I went to one of these car audio places. The problem will be that you need a pretty flat sub-woofer. There's not much space. If you go to a couple they can check it out and save you a bundle.

#3 ·
blaupunkt has a thin sub that sounds great just so you know

#4 ·
You need to decide whether to use this opportunity to improve and go aftermarket (you can do it for not a ton of $ - see my friend and fellow Z3-er MiguelACA's threads on his recent install of a new 8" sub instead of the garbage 3" one that is stock. You can also go custom and spend more like I did and it sounds amazing - your choice. I'd at least improve with a set up like Miggs did -i minimum! You should enjoy your beautiful car! You can check my vbGarage page on Werkz for details of my system if interested too.

Sorry, I'm an East coaster so can't help you on teh leather.

Good luck!

:D

#5 · (Edited)
what sound system is on your z3? if you have the HK setup, you have a 6'' subwoofer instead of the dual 3'' the non HK z's get, if you do have the 6'' sub, and dont ant to break the bank, you can get a Kicker CVT65, with is a 6.5'' subwoofer, you have to cut a bit of the box up inside, but its not visible anyways

if you want more bass, you can do what i am doing, sealing up the subwoofer enclosure with dynamat to make a "sub box" and having a custom lid made to hold the subwoofer, it will turn the whole enclosure into a sub box, look in the audio forum on here for pics

as for roadstermadness' setup, he actually has a BOX put in there because he is using the bigger kicker comp subwoofer

the difference between the comp and the cvt is that the cvt is a shallow mount, and doesnt require as much space as a normal sub but still (supposedly) bumps as hard

ill be having my sub put in either tomorrow or wednesday, ill post pics and let u guys know how it sounds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.