Year of car? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
X Series BMW X3 Forum - Covers all the past and present X vehicles including: X3, X5, X6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
gileg is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Year of car?

I have already placed a deposit on a vehicle which was advertised as a 2014. When I read the spec sheet for the VIN number quoted--it says it was built Prod Date 2013-04-03

Are these cars always produced one year before the model year designation? It seems an article on Wikipedia says the 2010-2012 models were, so am I to infer that the 2014 SHOULD have been built in 2013?

One other thing, the dealer advertised it as having leather seats however, the build sheet says they are Sensatec. The sheet says Upholstery SENSATEC 1/SCHWARZ (KCSW) But, the pics on the website seem to show a grey looking seat? Not black.

I am trying to decide if the seats are a deal breaker, anyone have an opinion? This dealer is a 17 hour drive for me so, I placed the deposit on good faith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:56 PM
n00b

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
beefrank is on a distinguished road
Determine year of model and leather vs. leatherette

Quote:
Originally Posted by gileg View Post
Are these cars always produced one year before the model year designation? It seems an article on Wikipedia says the 2010-2012 models were, so am I to infer that the 2014 SHOULD have been built in 2013?

One other thing, the dealer advertised it as having leather seats however, the build sheet says they are Sensatec. The sheet says Upholstery SENSATEC 1/SCHWARZ (KCSW) But, the pics on the website seem to show a grey looking seat? Not black.
In the United States, for regulation purposes (such as VIN numbering and EPA emissions certification), government authorities allow cars of a given model year to be sold starting on January 1 of the previous calendar year. For example, this means that a 2019 model year vehicle can legally go on sale on January 1, 2018.

You will have to personally observe the car's interior and touch it to determine if it is leather or leatherette. Pictures are not reliable.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
n00b

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
gileg is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, appreciate the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series