I really like the Acura TSX - Page 9 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Other Rides Anything other than BMW related in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RoadrunnerX is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Donutchow.
Just wanted to recommend to try short shifting the car.
Quite often I'll run up first and second and then drop into a higher cruise gear.
I have an NSX with an 8k rev limit so by the time you use up second your illegal
on most roads. Often I do moderate acceleration through 3rd then go to 6th.
Take care and good luck on your decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

donutchow is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadrunnerX@Jul 29 2003, 09:14 AM
Hi Donutchow.
Just wanted to recommend to try short shifting the car.
Quite often I'll run up first and second and then drop into a higher cruise gear.
I have an NSX with an 8k rev limit so by the time you use up second your illegal
on most roads. Often I do moderate acceleration through 3rd then go to 6th.
Take care and good luck on your decision!
can you skip gears like that, or is that bad from the tranny? i thought going from 2nd to 5th is a bad thing.

NSX :
post #123 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:10 AM

GreenDragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Going up should be fine, it's going down that you need to worry about (heh, I guess that applies to other things too huh?)

post #124 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

donutchow is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenDragon@Jul 29 2003, 11:50 AM
Going up should be fine, it's going down that you need to worry about (heh, I guess that applies to other things too huh?)
but all 6 gear plates are aligned right next to each other, or so i think. the aamco guy showed me my gears when he gave me a new clutch. so how can you skip over some gears?
post #125 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:23 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
when i cruise i regularly skip 3rd and go into 4th. i have had no problems in the 5 years ive been driving the altima.

Member 150+ MPH club
Member of the 3-Pedal club
Memebr BMW FORUMS V1 CLUB
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
post #126 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Quote:
Originally posted by ClutchPerformer@Jul 23 2003, 09:40 AM
A V-6 won't fit in the engine bay. Sorry...

If it's any consolation, it doesn't need it.
if you can fit a 5.0L V8 in a Mazda Miata engine bay, you can drop a V6 into that engine bay. The Lotus Elise engine bay has got to be more cramped than the Acura engine bay, and they wedged a 2.7L V6 and 2 turbos into that to make the Esthi 2.4. If I'm not mistaken, the TSX is the americanization of the Euro Accord. How can an Accord, even given the smaller size of the euro variant not be able to fit a V6? In my opinion, that's a formula to a great driver's car. In Europe it could be Honda's answer to the 147 GTA. In the US, it could be a close competetor to the 330Ci.

Plus, the NSX motor is nothing special. It is just a hopped up Accord V6, and it's not even 40bhp up on the Accord motor anymore. The heart and soul of the NSX is in its chassis and its light weight. The motor is nice, but it's nothing to rave about.

I've not driven the TSX, but I'm familiar with the motor it uses. In fact, the only honda 4-cyl motor I haven't driven is the 2.0L from the S2k. The sound it produces isn't anything special, the powerband, though reasonably wide, is ultimately unsatisfying. It's far from being silky smooth. I'm not a big fan myself. the 2.0L from the S2000 is a very impressive motor, but N/A I4s are always going to be lacking something.

Skipping gears is ok. Don't worry about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
post #127 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 08:51 AM

ClutchPerformer is an unknown quantity at this point
If you notice, there's no V-6 in the Japanese/European Accord, either. It wasn't designed for it (and I hate to make this generalization, but I'm pretty sure that European and Japanese Accord buyers don't care about V-6es). If I remember correctly, that engine was mounted in the Miata longitudinally. Honda hasn't done that since the Acura Legend was still with us (with the obvious exception of the S2000). It's much harder to squeeze an larger engine in a small space when it has a transmission "beside" it rather than "behind". There's also the fact that the TSX is a front wheel drive car, so all the driveshaft hardware is up front, too. It's not as easy to get a V-6 in there as it sounds.

I don't understand how you can be familiar with the TSX's engine when you haven't driven the car. It's not used (in TSX tune) in any other Honda/Acura sold in the US. That being said, the TSX is not meant to compete with 330i, only the 325 which it does quite well.

"N/A I4s are always going to be lacking something"

I'm just curious. What exactly is the TSX's 4-cyl lacking? We had this same discussion on our boards, and I was forced to dig up dyno charts to directly compare it to the 2.5L I6 from the 325i. Check this link if you'd like to see my findings. I'm just pointing out facts. Not trying to start a flame war.

P.S. Skipping gears is definitely ok. Use rev matching...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Other Rides