BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com (https://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/)
-   New Members Check In (https://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/new-members-check/)
-   -   New Gal Needs Help! (https://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/new-members-check/new-gal-needs-help-60658.html)

Louisa 11-11-2008 09:32 AM

New Gal Needs Help!

Hi All ---

My name is Louisa. This is my first post here. I am thinking of buying a used BMW. Have never had an European car, always owned American or Japanese.
I want an automatic mid-sized car that is safe with good braking and road handling, that will last a long time.
I NEED YOUR HELP!
Would like to know if this is a good deal or a rip-off. It is a private owner sale. Also need to get a Carfax report to help me decide. Have to make a quick decision, or may lose out.

The car I fell in love with and want to get is a 2001 525i.
The asking price is $9,000.
The owner ran over a parking curb and tore up the underside (engine and trans). No body damage at all. It's clean - no dents, dings, etc. Has leather interior, sun roof, CD player, automatic everything, all the bells and whistles. I believe, no sports package.
Odometer - 91,000 miles
The following repairs has just been completed....
Replaced:
Motor - with 51,000 miles
Trans - with 6,000 miles
SO, WHAT DO YOU THINK? Thanks in advance. :bow

reagannelson 11-11-2008 09:40 AM

Louisa,
It sounds like a good deal but I would make sure I had it completely checked out by a mechanic before I signed on the dotted line. The car should last you a long time.

Louisa 11-11-2008 09:56 AM

Reagannelson-
Thanks for the quick reply.
The guy selling it is a mechanic, he is the one who installed the new motor and trans. I saw this car at the Service Station where he works. I have long taken my cars there for service, and have always been satisfied. He is currently installing a new carb in my Camaro Z28. Should I trust him with this, or have another mechanic check it out. I am so unsure, and afraid to lay down what to me is a big chunk of change.

witeshark 11-11-2008 10:52 AM

If he's honest and the car is good, he should have no reason against your getting another opinion.

Louisa 11-11-2008 02:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. Still debating about it. :dunno
Just got the Carfax report.
Has had 4 owners: 2 private, 2 dealer. Sold at auction in PA. Clean Title. All owners have been from NJ/PA area. (I'm in NJ)
Looks to have been well maintained.
Rear-end accident in 2005. (Body in perfect cond. now.)
Recent accident where owner drove over a parking pylon damaging the engine and trans. The Service Station mechanic that repaired it and is selling it, bought it from the insurance co. I trust this mechanic....but just to be sure, am taking it for another opinion.
My son works for a car dealer (Dodge, Ford, Pontiac, & Isuzu).
Plan to take it there to have their mechanics check out under the hood and the undercarriage. Will be worth the $100 for reassurance and peace of mind...know they will be honest with me.
Son tells me it is a good price. His only warning is that maintenance is costly.
I still love this car! It is pretty....White with tan leather interior. There I go being a typical female! :blush
Any other advice is very welcomed. Will let you know my final decision. Thanks again.

reagannelson 11-11-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa (Post 554726)
Thanks for the replies. Still debating about it. :dunno
Just got the Carfax report.
Has had 4 owners: 2 private, 2 dealer. Sold at auction in PA. Clean Title. All owners have been from NJ/PA area. (I'm in NJ)
Looks to have been well maintained.
Rear-end accident in 2005. (Body in perfect cond. now.)
Recent accident where owner drove over a parking pylon damaging the engine and trans. The Service Station mechanic that repaired it and is selling it, bought it from the insurance co. I trust this mechanic....but just to be sure, am taking it for another opinion.
My son works for a car dealer (Dodge, Ford, Pontiac, & Isuzu).
Plan to take it there to have their mechanics check out under the hood and the undercarriage. Will be worth the $100 for reassurance and peace of mind...know they will be honest with me.
Son tells me it is a good price. His only warning is that maintenance is costly.
I still love this car! It is pretty....White with tan leather interior. There I go being a typical female! :blush
Any other advice is very welcomed. Will let you know my final decision. Thanks again.

You have chosen wisely.

Let us know how things turn out (good or bad)