Some tool in an MR2 - Page 2 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Driving Tales Talk about your driving stories in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Halon is an unknown quantity at this point
I think some mark 1 mr2's could show alot of bmw's whats up in the twisties. Or at least hang with them fairly well. Stock for stock, they may not have the numbers, but they handle like sex. Plus they have an almost perfect 50/50, its like 52/48 weight distribution. Pair that up with a high reving four cylinder that can make like 110 or 120 Bhp and takes to mods like a fish to water... :-x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 12:10 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I still like muffinmobile best :P

BMW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sig by zeaq
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 10:00 AM

beau is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by docrobot@Aug 31 2004, 05:41 AM
Next thing, you will say it makes 300 BHp stock...
200hp stock. 300hp costs less than getting an exhaust and intake for a BMW. And for fall less then $25 it would school both your 944 and m3 in a straight line and curvs. Don't get me wrong I realy like both of your cars but know what you are making fun of before you do it.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

CMGO is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey man, straight up, stock for stock I will eat a muffinmobile anyday with any of my rides...shit, I'll eat him up in my Range Rover, I'll just run his ass over and go.

And if you put the same mods in the BMW or the Porsche, mod for mod I will still smoke his ass. Shit, put a turbo kit on the MR2, then put a turbo kit on my 16valve 2.5 litre I-4 Porsche...see who smokes who. The Porsche also has a perfect 50/50 weight dist. It will smoke the MR2 in corners, straights or otherwise...no problem.

I love all this talk, my modded honda can beat your stock whatever...its all bullshit. It's still a car, and if you take my car and give it mods, and the MR2 and give it mods, well...we all know what the end result will be. I don't care about the cost of the mods, it's the priciple.

Not trying to come accross as a dick, but don't question what I know. I've seen plenty of MR2's that were hooked up, known plenty of people who liked to mod them out etc... Quick, but at the same time, as I said, mod for mod blah blah blah....

And at the end of the night, that guy was still a tool in a yellow convertible MR2 totally stock looking like a bitch in his little highschool cheerleader ride....
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 03:52 AM

Quote:
The Porsche also has a perfect 50/50 weight dist. It will smoke the MR2 in corners, straights or otherwise...no problem
The mr2 1st gen had a 45/55 weight distribution. Not too far off, and it also had a MR placement which would actually give it a little more of an advantage as far as hooking up and accelerating out of corners. I'm just saying that stock for stock, I think the mr2 (well, aw11) could put up a fairly good fight with the porsche even. Not to mention that the aw11 came in a stock supercharged model in like 1989 or so. And the 1985 model only weighed like 2200 pounds. Wasn't quite as powerful, but still a very good car. But if you want a race to hold on to your pants... You should race a Suzuki cappuccino with the hayabusa engine swap. A car that weighs in at like 900 kilograms with a 310 turbocharged horses. I would love to have a Cappuccino...
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 09:50 PM

beau is an unknown quantity at this point
I bet all 3 generations of mr2s could hang with the 944 stock for stock, or come close to it. The second generation could probably beat it in the twisties and a straight line. I dont' konw a lot about the 944 but I know some. A lot of people say 50/50 isn't perfect but 45/55 or so is better. The mr2 stock can do the 60 foot in less than 2 seconds, 0-60 in 6.2 and the quarter in 14.7. Also it handles like mad. Doing a quick search I found these numbers for a 1988 944s. 1/4 16.2 and 0-60 in 8.0. Sounds like your fancy german car got schooled by a little rice burner. I would be carefull of making fun of the little mr2.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Quote:
Originally posted by CMGO@Aug 12 2004, 09:22 AM
Fast 67, did mopm put 25000 dollars into her 944??? I did. You can buy a 944 on the cheap, but to make it a real car, a handling car, a top running car..thats the money.
Congratu-fucking-lations...

Personally I think the money sign was him complimenting you on being a rich ass not him challenging you to a race for money. Crazy lane changing aside, you did kind of act like a rich little twat. Not everyone is trying to race you, plus drag racing is bitch racing, hit a canyon or the track or something.

Of course your 944 has suspension so you probably do. Just try not to be so uptight, one day some asshole in a riced out civic is gonna kill you off a light.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 10:15 PM

RealBMW 02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't personally like the older MR2's, particularly the SW20. Although it can be very quick in the twisties, it has a high tendency to swap ends due to the weight being concentrated more towards the rear of the car.
However, CMGO don't be so fast to bash MR2's, the newest generation MR2 is insanely quick and toyota did a damn good job of fixing the tendency to spin so easily.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:11 PM

I was looking at and almost bought a few cars when I was looking for my first baby, and i was alot more interested in Rice-burners back then than I am now. But the very first car I almost bought was a 1987 Toyota MR2 (AW11) non-supercharged bluetop. And I drove that car pretty breifly... just had too much rust to be pratical (mechanic estimated that under extreme driving the car would actually break in half... lol.) But it was quick. I still think it would have been an awsome car to have - I'm actualy still considering getting one. MR power!

The next car I investigated was a 1989 Mazda RX-7 non-turbo. So shoot me, I don't like forced induction. :P I DO like rotary engines though. Maybe someday I'll put one in my bimmer! Regardless, it just seemed like too much was wrong with the car. There was enormous oil deposits on the entire engine bay (Despite daily cleaning from what I understood.) and he had redone the brakes (without bleeding the lines... found that out the hard way.), and when it first started up, it would pour exhaust out everywhere. Just billow smoke. So I decided that wouldn't be a good car for me to drive. heh.

The next car I looked at - I only found breifly, rather. Was a 1986 Porsche 944. I can't even recreate how angry I was when my parents (who were co-signing a loan with me for the car.) wouldn't even consider that vehicle. I think that would have even been signifigantly cooler than my bimmer.

The last car I looked at, before I got my 318i - was a 325eS. Even to this day I think I should have gotten it, but it had a few things wrong of its own. Its in-grille radar detector only detected K-band... the rear driver side wheel was making alot of noise (Friend of mine estimated that was the wheel bearing that needed to be replaced soon probally.) and just for a grand finalle, it wasn't showing proper compression across the board. Siiiiigh. The steering was so tight! and the suspension was much nicer than my car. Just too much to do.

So that brings us to my current car, the 1985 318i that I fell in love with. I named it Isa and promptly put the nose into a guardrail... lol, but luckily it was low speed enough that no horible damage was incured - I plan to get it fixed by a professional shop asap and maybe even get her a whole new paint job at the same time. I'm considering Subaru Blue, or Pearl Black.

Anyhow... All of these cars have been good handling potentially trackable machines that could probally do some damage. Just because they're old, and in some cases japanese - doesn't mean you should write them off, underestemating a car can put you in an embarasing pinch. Someone mentioned a civic dusting you at a light - don't be suprised. There is a guy in my town who owns a Turbo'ed civic with the stock block who was able to embarass my roomate who drives about a 14 second (mid to high.) MX-6 v6. (Mazda.) - As well as the guy driving the turbo conquest with upgraded turbo and BOV, larger intercooler, and runs faster than my friends cobra for sure. (His cobra sucks...)

I just think that you need to be more open to people; just because someone drives a "ricer" car, or something non-bavarian, doesn't mean that its inferior. I have lots of respect for lots of cars - and almost any car driven right can be fast. And as a final thought, wtf posessed you to call that guy a "tool"? Anyhow - drive on.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 02:07 PM

RealBMW 02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Halon, good story and good lesson. You really have to watch out which cars you diss cause even something that looks like pile could be fully built inside. But being spanked in a drag is far less embarrasing that getting pwned in the canyons. The thing that I love most about my 02 is the fact that noone who sees it ever thinks it can be fast.

One night i rolled up to the top of the canyon I drive regularly, and three GTI drivers started talking smack about my car. So i asked them which one was the fastest and what he had done. The best hanling one had full coilovers and rear sway only to help with understeer. Well the smack talkking continued about how slow my car must be, so I decided that I should wait for them to go down so I could follow behind. Well they left quickly at once, and I was about 15 seconds behind getting going since my car takes a little more effort to get started (its carburated SP?) The GTI that they said was the quickest in the corners was in front, with the other two following closely. Within the first five or six turns I had already knocked off the fifteen second head start and was right on the ass of the last guy. I flashed my highs and had him pull over, then almost immediately caught up to the next guy and followed the same procedure to get him to pull over. I was feeling damn good at this pooint, but I was not going to be satisfied until I caught the fastest one, so I hauled ass down the rest of the hill and with still a good 1/4 of the 1.5 - 2 mile course left was able to catch up to the fastest GTI. the best thing in the world is to see the look on some punks face when he has just been torn a new asshole by a 34 year old car that he was JUST talking shit about two minutes earlier. Muahahaha!!!

anyway, ya don't be so fast to diss a car that in the end could come back to embarrrass the shit out of you.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by beau@Sep 5 2004, 08:30 PM
I bet all 3 generations of mr2s could hang with the 944 stock for stock, or come close to it. The second generation could probably beat it in the twisties and a straight line. I dont' konw a lot about the 944 but I know some. A lot of people say 50/50 isn't perfect but 45/55 or so is better. The mr2 stock can do the 60 foot in less than 2 seconds, 0-60 in 6.2 and the quarter in 14.7. Also it handles like mad. Doing a quick search I found these numbers for a 1988 944s. 1/4 16.2 and 0-60 in 8.0. Sounds like your fancy german car got schooled by a little rice burner. I would be carefull of making fun of the little mr2.
1. I was in my M3, not the 944S. So no schooling was taking place at all on his part.
2. Your looking at an 88 944, mine is an 87 S. Which doesnt make it worlds faster, but it is quicker.
3. No way is the MR-2 taking a 944 in the twisties, the 944 is a Porsche, designed to run in the cirves all day long. Yes, the Mr-2 is a sports coupe, but it is not meant to hang with the like of Porsche in any track situation. You can scream about modded out cars, but stock for stock, I would love to see an Mr-2 that is 15 years old compete in the 24hours at Daytona a few years back like a 944 did....
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by triggrhaapi+Sep 6 2004, 01:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (triggrhaapi @ Sep 6 2004, 01:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CMGO@Aug 12 2004, 09:22 AM
Fast 67, did mopm put 25000 dollars into her 944??? I did. You can buy a 944 on the cheap, but to make it a real car, a handling car, a top running car..thats the money.
Congratu-fucking-lations...

Personally I think the money sign was him complimenting you on being a rich ass not him challenging you to a race for money. Crazy lane changing aside, you did kind of act like a rich little twat. Not everyone is trying to race you, plus drag racing is bitch racing, hit a canyon or the track or something.

Of course your 944 has suspension so you probably do. Just try not to be so uptight, one day some asshole in a riced out civic is gonna kill you off a light. [/b][/quote]
How the hell did I act like a rich little twat??? This guy was being a total ass and insulting me first talking shit and cutting me off??? He was NOT trying to compliment me..trust me....So for your ignorant statements you can basically kiss my ass. Read the post well before commenting. I wasn&#39;t in my modded Porsche...I was in my stock BMW.

Where did I say shit about drag racing? I run the mountains in Virginia alot, we do road rallies frequently. Drag racing is useless, unless you want to waste tires. Screw 0-60 times, I made that point earlier to do just that, make a point.

I ran in a 250 mile rally a month ago actuall;y, all mountains.

I never said he was trying to race me, he was trying to act like a man and ended up looking like a bitch with his "money" sign and then speeding away, and THEN punking out when he was challenged. What you DONT know about the drags the next night is that we do SLALOM drags down here...so dont tell me about drivig...
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
And trust me, I have been schooled by cars that looked like total shit or total stock little hondas with the big ass turbo conversions, hell the other day I was runing with an Impala SS on the highway in the M3, he was FAST AS HELL, everytime I hit it and made a pass he was right on my ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales