the BMW meet - Page 2 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Driving Tales Talk about your driving stories in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RealBMW 02 is an unknown quantity at this point
bimmin'88....spiff and i don't need to travel ANYWHERE to find good roads. we leave spiffs house, make a right turn one block down, and bam we are here

Right click and save target as

go all the way up the hill (he comes down in the video) and you are at what we like to call mullholland raceway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 01:04 PM

Bimmin'88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by RealBMW 02@Sep 28 2004, 04:50 PM
bimmin'88....spiff and i don't need to travel ANYWHERE to find good roads.* we leave spiffs house, make a right turn one block down, and bam we are here

Right click and save target as

go all the way up the hill (he comes down in the video) and you are at what we like to call mullholland raceway.
[snapback]200928[/snapback]
Yup..! used to hang around there in the 80's & 90's. My impression is that those coastal canyons must be crowded and according to this thread heavily patrolled. Think about it...every one from Ventura, S.F. Valley to Santa Monica and beyond is using that area as a playground. Mullholland and neighboring Hwys are famous for cayon running and this is not recent history. I'm sure you guys have this area wired and your obviously proud of your zone. And you should be. I'm not saying that those roads aren't any good...I know just how good they are...especially from my sport bike days. Personally...I don't like getting tickets and I don't like crowds. This is why I feel the mentioned hwys are worth checking out. I view them as sort of a secret spot. The only real down sides are the drive time to get there and the recent story by that Speed Channel show "Two Wheel Tuesday" which has braught in quite a # of Sport Bikers but, still only affects this area on Sat & Sunday AM (still no patrols). Even with this influx, on Sat & Sun it's not half as crowded as the Sant Monica Mtns. And I would think you have to agree with me here. To be honest, the last time I took a drive through there was on my Sport Bike and it was kaos!

P.S. meant no offence.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 05:19 AM

agreed...to some extent.

since i am all about pushing my car and i am still fairly young, my normal drive time was past 1 am. it was the only way i could ensure that there wouldn't be a crowd.

but if i was still down in that area i would definately check out those roads, in fact when i go home for thanksgiving i will def. have to hit those up. do you have AIM. im realbmw02 so drop me a line sometime.

we should go driving when i'm back in town

its bedtime...2.20 and tomorrow is thirsty thursday....have to get my rest

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RealBMW 02@Sep 30 2004, 03:19 AM
agreed...to some extent.

since i am all about pushing my car and i am still fairly young, my normal drive time was past 1 am. it was the only way i could ensure that there wouldn't be a crowd.

but if i was still down in that area i would definately check out those roads, in fact when i go home for thanksgiving i will def. have to hit those up. do you have AIM. im realbmw02 so drop me a line sometime.

we should go driving when i'm back in town

its bedtime...2.20 and tomorrow is thirsty thursday....have to get my rest
[snapback]201926[/snapback]
That be awsome! But...Thanksgiving is a major Moto-X holiday for us and will be in the desert from the 25th to 28th. If your comming in sooner or staying later its a possibility. If you want to run it yourself, 101 to 33 up to Ojai, split left onto 33 (Maricopa hwy) its about 30 miles up 30 miles back from Ojai. If we get any rain by then their might be some snow at the higher elevations. The raod climbs to 5000 ft.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
must be crowded and according to this thread heavily patrolled
not as much, you just gotta know the places where they hide...which i do, now that ihave run a few times, and have seen them patrolling and sitting in certain spots(which luckily, arent the ones im really speeding on).

but yes, Mullholland, Decker, Westlake, Latigo, Las Virgenes, Piuma, Stunt, Encinal are all good roads, much fun!

-Dan

(next meet in late oct early nov)
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 12:11 PM

Is that Box Car still up at, I think it was the top of Stunt? Had a few derelict moments up there in my youth. Don't know how I servived those days. We used to call that place "Top of the World". Awsome views.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 02:44 PM

I call it top of the world. I think trigg or deloriant refered to it as rim of the world, but i usually call it top. and no i don't think there is a box car still up there. what is that exactly tho?
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 04:31 PM

There used to be a Locomotive Box Car on the right side of the lot. I think about 20 yards before foundation/basement where the house or something used to be.
On at leased one occation early 80's some guys got real ambitious and dragged a generator and a couple local Metal bands up there. Total Bust!! like that was going to fly.lol

I've been meaning to ask, is there any clubs around here that do auto-x? So far the closest I've found is CalClub that holds Solo events down in inglewood (getto). The canyon running is fun but, its also risky which definatly holds me back. I have also looked at racing schools to get some track time but thats kinda spendy. It seems like not too long ago events were being held all over the place. I can't find anything localy and am half tempted to try and organize some myself.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 08:21 PM

bimmin, i have no knowledge of any clubs out here. i think that there are very few if any. you should definitely set something up. that would be awesome
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RealBMW 02@Oct 1 2004, 06:21 PM
bimmin, i have no knowledge of any clubs out here. i think that there are very few if any. you should definitely set something up. that would be awesome
[snapback]203095[/snapback]

I think Iwill have to bite the bullet and do the CalClub for a short time to gain some knowledge to how these events are operated. I feel the recent decline of drivers clubs is due to the "ricer" drag racing trend. Which I really don't understand! But to each his own. This area should be prime for a drivers club and it amazes me that one does not exsist.
To pull something like this off will take a lot of time and effort. Do you think you guys could help out in putting something together?

There would be alot of foot work involved. A club would have to be created, organized and possible sanctioned (SCCA)?. Certain safety criteria would have to be reserched and addhered to. And locations would have to be researched, large parking lots, airports etc. Times & stats would have to be recorded tracked & published. Car classifications, the list goes on.

All I would want out of this is to drive and have some fun. I already own one business and I currently starting another and with this said my time schedule is pretty much full. But a drivers club could turn out to be proftable!

Think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales