BMW Werkz banner

no oil pressure,level light.no rev counter

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  tarlac 
#1 ·
just put an engine in a 525tds e39. No oil pressure light, oil level light or rev counter. Also idling at approx 2000 revs. Checked and rechecked leads. Any ideas?

#3 · (Edited)
it's a 2.5tds bmw engine out of an Omega, my second time doing it. Last time everything went perfect first time round. Had to change the sump, oil feed pipe, rocker cover, diesel pump and pipes, fan and engine speed sensor on the engine before installing and used original alternator, power steering and coolant motors. only thing I had to buy was a double temperature sensor for the head. When temperature lights wouldn't come on I renewed much of the cable where it looked dodgy (from hauling engines in and out). Later discovered the main cable onto the alternator wasn't tightened causing a bit of a bang when I first turned the engine. Maybe with this I blew a control box somewhere or something in the alternator.

#4 ·
solved most of the problems. had connected wire for oil pressure to the cam sensor (below the starter) and vice versa. Unbelievable thing was how the car was starting at all, and actually driving! So car's going like a dream and the rev counter is working. Had been told that the rev counter worked off the alternator, but obviously not. For the record, it works off the sensor on the fly wheel which also sets the timing. Only thing missing now is lights for oil pressure and oil level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.