BMW Werkz banner

E60 problem thread

116K views 81 replies 52 participants last post by  Dann-0h 
#1 ·
My problems include:
1. Stuck cup holder after about 2 mo.-replaced
2. Hood out of alignment-upon delivery-adjusted
3. Driver door window scratched-upon delivery-replace
4. Mechanical belt tensioner making tapping noise, after about 1k miles=replaced with hydraulic
5. Loud ticking in front of motor, after about 2k miles (in the shop now) is supposed to be the electronic thermostat. I was told this was normal operating condition. Car sounds like a model T. I heard another 530 and it was absolutely quiet. Had a discussion with Service manager. Dealer still insists that it's normal and refuses to do anything.
6. Bridgestone Potenza run flat (right rear) has a slow leak, problem has been on-going, probably delivered that way. Needs to be checked by Bridgestone certified run flat dealer. Found one by calling the Bridgestone Tech Hotline.
7. Air cover scratched-upon delivery-replaced
8. Air bag light stayed on, upon delivery- replaced switch
9. Steering wheel doesn't automatically move up after turning off motor, after software update-need to investigate
10. Dynamic Drive System Failure displayed on screen. Didn't drive car. Started car the next day. No DDSF on screen. wtf?

Other irritations:
1) fixing hood alignment took 3 tries (damn noobie techs)
1a) front passenger windshield pillar scratched during hood alignment fix-
2) Belt tensioner fix took 2 tries (noobie tech sprayed the belt with belt lube the first time)
3) door panels had driver boot marks 3 times-had to send car back for cleaning
4) one time had to send the car back for washing 3 times (stopped having them wash it)
5) Left rear run flat picked up a dry-wall screw (damn construction near my home).
The left rear rim was severly scratched during tire mounting and needed to be repainted
6) right front rim has 5 inch curb rash from dealer drivers (damn fools-in shop now)

See less See more
#27 ·
I have a 545i manufactured in April 04 and arrived in May 04. Two very serious problems:

1) 600 miles: car looses all power after active steering fault. Car was running for approx. one minute and I was turning on a red light. never started it, had it towed. The car recorded two faults which BMW was able to read back. There was a firmware upgrade posted on the BMW "Tech Hotline". This was suppose to fix the problem. At this point, I'm freaking out. 70K for a car and I worried about it loosing power at 100+.

2) 4500 miles: car looses all power. No detectable fault. Car was running for approx one minute and I was coming to a stop sign when it happened. no warnings, no faults recorded; started it back up and drove it to BMW. They have had the car for 3 days and still don't know what the problem is.

Apparently the recall was only for cars after May so my car did not get it. TCR, when was your car manufactured? How were your problems resolved?

I'm wondering if I can get them to take this car back or give me my money back!

Very scared to drive it.

#28 ·
Yikes ...

You folks are making me a bit leary of purchasing an '05 530i.

I've never owned a BMW, but have always been impressed whenever I have ridden in one. I realize the problems with owning a 1.0 version (first model year) of any redesigned vehicle - I am currently leasing an '02 VW Passat W8. However, I thought that BMW would have a better handle on things than this.

Maybe I'm being a bit too harsh here ... or maybe I just need to look at a used 5 series instead :)

Brian

#29 ·
Originally posted by Josh_953@Sep 6 2004, 03:00 AM
I have a 2004 530i with the premium package and the dynamic handling package.

I have several problems with it:
1. There is a rattle in the passenger window when the car moves. It often occurs when I brake, accelerate or go over bumps.
2. There is a creaking in the driver's seat when I move around in it.
3. There seems to be a click, almost like a beep, coming from the rear right wheel well when the car is in motion. I only hear it when the car is moving slowly.

Any idea what these things may be?

Thanks.
[snapback]181536[/snapback]​

It seems to be a familur situation with BMW when they release a new car that the first production models are 'guinea pigs'. I own the 3 series and in know that the early e36's suffered a load of problems, most serious interior trim issues.

#30 ·
Originally posted by TCR@Jul 22 2004, 11:20 PM
My problems with my new 545 are bad. I am not sure if others had experienced similar problems.

Problem #1
- Got 'Engine too hot warning' message. I took the car to the dealer and after few days of delay the dealer said that it is most likely a software issue and updated the software

- Few days later got the same message and before I could get to the dealer, the radiator water boiled out and spilled all over. Got the vehicle towed away to the dealer and after few days the dealer found the problem. It turns out the radiator fan was not working at all.

Problem #2
This is a very dangerous one.

While driving the car and taking a turn, the steering went rock hard (like stuck) and displayed the message 'Active Steering Initializing'. Luckily it was late in the night and I safely got to the curbside. On restarting the engine, the steering got unstuck.

Now the car is with the dealer and they are trying to figure out what is wrong. I am scared to drive the car..

Had anybody had similar experience?

--tcr
[snapback]150837[/snapback]​
Holy crap! #2 is dangerous! what if you were doing some spirited driving on a curvy road?
"active steering initializing" that sounds like the computer tried to initialize the "software" but then sort of froze. You know? like sometimes your PC freezes up? I think they ought to stick with a more mechanical BMW and just let the computers monitor stuff like the e39 generation... that would probably cause a lot less problems.

#32 ·
Hi there. I guess I'm posting my problems also. Just got back from taking the car into service. 530i 2004. Funny, the service rep. tells my wife, "This is the only 5 with these problems, we've never had any issues with these cars". Wow. Well here's my list.

1. Cup Holder stuck in place. (3rd time to be replaced)
2. Lighter broken.
3. Windows when using auto mode will sometime stop and lower back 3/4 of the way. BMW response, "could not reproduce"
4. Flat tire monitor constantly turning on. If I try to reset it, we can sit there for hours and it never completes the process. BMW response, "could not reproduce"
5. Same radio issue as reported by other owners. Static, No Sound, all of these occur on and off. BMW response, "could not reproduce".
6. Locks will sometime (Auto Lock) not engage, and they will continue trying to lock every few seconds. The only way to correct this is go into Idrive and disable auto lock feature. Next time you drive the car everything is fine. BMW response, "could not reproduce".
7. Car pulls to the right. BMW response, "could not reproduce".
8. The seat memory and mirror memory go slightly out of sync from time to time, where a mirror is pointing somewhere that shows me no back view (not be confused with auto dip, which I switched off) BMW response, "could not reproduce".
9. At low speeds the car gets confused changing gears. Have to switch to manual if going lets say under 30mph in order to get in correct gear.
10. Vehicle hesitates when accelerating.
11. If you are on a highway, the thing sways like if it had a sail on top of it. Never felt this before with any other BMW I've owned.

There are other issues, but we are so frustrated with this vehicle that I'm considering taking a big loss in order to get rid of it.

Thanks

#33 ·
Hi!! How are you? Guys, why are so many people coming up with problems in the 5-series? These are very reliable cars, aren't they? I mean BMWs are very reliable cars.

I mean, when you have 50 sensors in a car, there is more chance that one of those will go wrong than say in a car with just 15 or 20.

They're very reliable cars. No mistake about that.

Thanks.
BYE.

#34 ·
Originally posted by M BMW@Nov 16 2004, 09:54 PM
Hi!! How are you? Guys, why are so many people coming up with problems in the 5-series? These are very reliable cars, aren't they? I mean BMWs are very reliable cars.

I mean, when you have 50 sensors in a car, there is more chance that one of those will go wrong than say in a car with just 15 or 20.

They're very reliable cars. No mistake about that.

Thanks.
BYE.
[snapback]232312[/snapback]​
M BMW, while looking through this thread can be a bit scary, you need to keep in mind that for every person here with a problem, there are many more of us like myself who have had no problems. I've had my 5 since Feb 04 and other than a very minor recall that took 20 minutes to correct, have had NO problems. Now my car is pretty basic, no sports package, so I don't have Active Steering or Active Cruis Control or Parking Distance Control etc. Many of the problems seem to be on those cars with all the bells and whistles.

#35 ·
Originally posted by tmontele@Jul 23 2004, 12:41 PM
I purchased a 545i two weeks ago. I drove it for a week and then it was recalled for a defective engine control unit (see copy press release below). I sent it to the dealer on July 16th and at this point I still do not know when I will get it back. I can say that I didn't have any problems with it (during the one week and 300 miles that I drove it). I really love the car and I want it back. It sounds like some of your problems may be related to the recall. Was you car manufactured betweenMay 12 and July 6? If you get any information please share it, I'm starting to questions my own recent very expensive purchase!!!!!

BMW Recalls 4,000 Cars

July 14, 2004
BMW is recalling 4,000 vehicles worldwide because of defective engine control units. The recall affects 5, 6 and 7-series and X5 models with V8 or V12 cylinder gas engines.

The company said a "temporary production fault of a supplier" is to blame.

The defect may cause the engine to cut off after a relatively short running time, potentially leading to a failure of the power-steering assistance as well as the brake booster following repeated operation of the brake, the company said.

"As a consequence, unexpected traffic situations including accidents may occur," BMW added.

The vehicles affected by the recall were built between May 12 and July 6 of this year.
[snapback]151105[/snapback]​

#37 ·
All these issues with my 2004 530i, minor as they are drove me nuts with service visits.

Service manager is good - his techs are lacking

here's my list:

The cupholder - lol
Needed new run flats on rear @ 7k miles - then they put wrong tires on

2 weeks later - car was pulling - back in - yep 2 new front run flats needed

that was about 5th serviec visit in 45 days - for a car i paid cash for

Now calling the owner

The response:
BMW paid for all 4 run flats - about $1500
Wrote me a check for pain and suffering - $1,000
Offered to buy me lunch

and I got the car out the door for $47k on a sticker of $53,700

Issues yes, but this guy knew how to make up

Urge all of you to complain - evidently, the dealers get special dispensation for customers identified as losing faith in BMW - and BMW is cutting checks to maintain loyalty and maintain the brand

#39 ·
Originally posted by The Pentium Guy@Nov 8 2004, 04:19 PM
Do you guys think that these problems will be resolved in the 05 models? I certainly hope so...
[snapback]227036[/snapback]​

We'll see. Most of the problems on the 1.0 version have been straightened out. It's taken about a year and several software updates (very expensive computer)!

MY '05 should be much better.

#41 ·
After reading other bulletin boards, a lot of problems have been solved with software upgrades.

MY '05 should be a lot better. MY '06 should be the year to buy if you're thinking about it.

The future problem I see is that after the BMW warranty runs out, the extended warranties aren't covering the electronics. I'll be trading/selling mine before 12/2007. Also, how is the next generation BMW owner going to mod his/her car? No way! even the 3 will have too much electronics to mess with.

Good luck.

I should have purchased the 2003 530 for a discount at year-end.

#42 ·
no problems approaching 1st service

clock is at 12,975 purchased june 13 2004

o one more piece of info only 36 545smg deliverd to the western part of the us so roughly about 70 -75 in the us and only 389 built

so if u have the smg u r one lucky man :rock

#43 ·
Hello,
I'm new to this post. I have a 04 E60 545i fully loaded. I currently started hearing a noise when driving around 45mph. I took it in and BMW is saying this a new known issue with the Dunloptires and they need to be replaced. The said BMW will pay for 1/2 the cost. (They got this amount by prorating the tires) I have ~12.5K miles on the car. Anyone have this issue? The noise is like being in a helicopter and hearing the propeller but more suttle of coarse.

-john

#45 ·
Originally posted by Silver4evr@Jun 25 2004, 03:25 PM
Dynamic Drive System failure message (2nd time) diplayed on the idrive screen and on the driver's display. That's the computer that keeps the car level when cornering. A major system.

mmmmmmmm...sounds bad, very bad.....into the shop tomorrow....

I called BMWUSA today and asked for a new car. We'll see what happens with this new problem.
[snapback]135114[/snapback]​
I have a hydraulic rattle noise in the rear actuator of the Dynamic Drive system on my 10 month old E60. It only happens when the power steering fluid has warmed up. The "stick-slip" noise happens when I corner at low speed (10 - 15 km/h) in parking lots etc. Also it occurs immediately after I have pulled-up to a stop and the stick slip noise occurs for about 0.5 - 1 second. Its very annoying, but the dealer can't seem to fix it under warrantly. He says it is normal. Are they serious?? - John

#46 ·
Originally posted by Josh_953@Sep 6 2004, 06:00 PM
I have a 2004 530i with the premium package and the dynamic handling package.

I have several problems with it:
1. There is a rattle in the passenger window when the car moves. It often occurs when I brake, accelerate or go over bumps.
2. There is a creaking in the driver's seat when I move around in it.
3. There seems to be a click, almost like a beep, coming from the rear right wheel well when the car is in motion. I only hear it when the car is moving slowly.

Any idea what these things may be?

Thanks.
[snapback]181536[/snapback]​
I have a hydraulic stick-slip noise which comes out the the rear dynamic drive actuator when the car is driven at low speed in corners (eg. in a parking lot). Also a noise comes out of the actuator when the car is pulled up to a stop. The creaky (stick slip) noise last for about 0.5 - 1 second, then stops. Very annoying, but only happens when the power steering fluid (which drives the Dynamic Drive system) is warm - John

#47 ·
Hi there,im new to this board.I just got my 05 525 a week ago and ive driven it for 200 miles only.Problems already come.First bluetooth come on and off all the time secondly the lights on the pass air bag off is on 3rd there is a rattling sound coming from somewhere hope you could help me thanks

#49 ·
Originally posted by dkeyes@Apr 24 2005, 12:58 AM
Hi there,im new to this board.I just got my 05 525 a week ago and ive driven it for 200 miles only.Problems already come.First bluetooth come on and off all the time secondly the lights on the pass air bag off is on 3rd there is a rattling sound coming from somewhere hope you could help me thanks
[snapback]337051[/snapback]​
1) Can't help w/ Bluetooth, sorry

2) Need some clarification. Is the Pass. Air Bag light on all the time. If no one is seated in the passenger seat, or if that person weighs less than something like 50 lbs., the air bag is deactivated and the light overhead comes on indicating that the passenger airbag is not active. When someone large enough sits in the passenger seat, the airbag is active and the light goes off. If this is not how yours is working, bring it to the dealer.

3) Going to have to narrow this one down. Turn off the stereo and figure out where it is coming from. BMW has had a terrible problem with the rubber door seals creaking or rattling. A new seal will be available soon and I am one of many waiting for them to come in. Some have reported a rattle in the back, either from the skibag or fold down seats, or from the rear window deck. Just going to have to figure this out. Early on I had a rattle I thought was in the rear passenger door, but I took the car in and rode around w/ a tech who figured out it was actually a loose screw in the headrest. Rattle gone...

#50 ·
I just got a 2005 525i. I have had the car for a little over a week and have noticed that driving over rough surfaces that there is a rattle in the steering wheel/dash area. It seems to only happen at slow speeds. I have tried to localize it but can't. It's bugging me but I am going to wait it out and see if it goes away as the car breaks in or my first service comes up. A few other disappointments so far: for a car of this price you would think the switchgear and interior materials of a car of this price would be better. I also find the 2.5 six is a little underpowered for this car. I knew this going in so it is not a surprise. One surprise is the idrive. I find it easy to use once you get the logic down. Any thoughts on the dash rattle??? Thanks

#51 ·
Originally posted by kch525@May 30 2005, 10:37 AM
I just got a 2005 525i. I have had the car for a little over a week and have noticed that driving over rough surfaces that there is a rattle in the steering wheel/dash area. It seems to only happen at slow speeds. I have tried to localize it but can't. It's bugging me but I am going to wait it out and see if it goes away as the car breaks in or my first service comes up. A few other disappointments so far: for a car of this price you would think the switchgear and interior materials of a car of this price would be better. I also find the 2.5 six is a little underpowered for this car. I knew this going in so it is not a surprise. One surprise is the idrive. I find it easy to use once you get the logic down. Any thoughts on the dash rattle??? Thanks
[snapback]348826[/snapback]​
Are you sure it the dash? The E60 has a well known issue with door seals that give off a creaking sound that can be hard to isolate and may even sound like a rattle from elsewhere. It is present a low speeds on bumpy roads, but even the slightest bump in the road can give you the creaking. One test that may help, find a rough patch of road where you usually hear the rattle and very slightly lower your windows, don't even want a visible crack. If that makes the rattle stop, it the door seals. BMW has just introduced new ones to replace the creaking ones. I am waiting for my dealer to get the parts in to have mine done. It is really quite annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.